Music Banter - View Single Post - Has music become stagnant (stopped moving/evolving)?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #176 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
VEGANGELICA,

I know you directed the question to someone else, I hope you don't mind...

It might sound new, the way it is done is relatively new, but it goes back to experimental music from the 60's. (maybe early, but I'm not sure) That peice is somewhere between a sound collage and Glitch (plus a crossfade of hip hop and Electronic j/k) but instead of tone bender manipulating a electronic device as in Glitch, it is a bunch of sample on a computer. And when you think about it, having samples spliced together goes back to the 60's with sound collage, but now it's done with soft ware, not with tape. An example of a sound collage would be Number Nine by The Beatles. (I'm not saying that The Beatles invented Glitch-Hop but I'm sure someone is going to think that.) John must of known of some example of sound collages and wanted to do his own experimental peice on the White album.

The "music" itself might be new or relatively new. But the ideas are old, you'll find a lot of sampling in hip hop, what evolved are the tools and sounds. Some of those sounds relatively new, like the synth bass sample from dub step, or maybe it's a synth bass sample from form Dave Smith synth or something e.g. an anaolgue bass-synth.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote