Music Banter - View Single Post - Member Picture Gallery
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #20771 (permalink)
P A N
DO LIKE YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
My dad has been harping on me to go do that one summer, he said you end up saving a bunch of money because there's nothing to spend it on, and you just end up smoking a lot of weed and fucking hippies. Consider I don't think he's ever smoked weed or fucked a hippie I took it with a massive grain of salt. Care to corroborate?
there are certainly people who schematize it that way, no doubt. as far as saving money, you do go to the nearest city to your camp on days off to do laundry and possibly blow lots of money. you have to have a very good work ethic to make lots of money in the first place, and be frugal to save it. your first year, it's likely you won't make that much. it's not impossible mind you. i didn't do too bad. the thing is, it's piece-work. so you're going to find people that are ok with just planting 1500 trees a day because they just like the lifestyle of being in nature while making a few bucks, and that is totally acceptable. you will also find people who are aiming at 4000-6000 trees because of the potential to make massive amounts of cash. but it's not easy work, i'll say that much. you're dealing with living in a tent, unpredictable weather based on staying right behind the frost line in spring time (working your way north as the season progresses), the emergence of bugs, wildlife like bears, being surrounded by the same people day in and day out, the psychology of isolation, and doing the same damn thing 1500-5000 times a day. i did concrete finishing for 5 or 6 years, so i'm no stranger to long days and working hard as f*ck, and i will openly declare that being a tree planter is one of the most gruelling things a person can subject themselves to. you'll laugh though. you'll probably cry. you will make friends that last forever. and then, despite how god damn crazy it is, you'll want to do it again the next year. it's a true test of stone.

as far as smoking weed and screwing, sure. everyone there is out in the middle of nowhere and they all have their needs. i can definitely attest to the notion that no one knows how to party like people at isolated work camps. it's actually kind of insane. but with weed, if you're the type of person who becomes demotivated with its use, i recommend dropping it altogether while you're out there. not be motivated at a tree planting camp is some serious weight hanging over you.

as far as life experience goes though, i would recommend it to anyone who is reasonably fit. it will make you feel alive, strong, and make all the hardships of life seem a little less difficult to deal with. and you'll never forget that you made it out the other end.
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote