Music Banter - View Single Post - Review of the Sonos Wireless Speaker System
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

I'll let your response to my response stand without comment. I'm not interested in getting into fight over the content of the Sonos knowledge base with you. I don't think your remarks on Sonos are strikingly different from my own, except you seem to dislike my manner of writing about the product.

I do want to correct you on one misleading point you seem fixated upon. You keep talking about the Sonos Connect, which isn't even part of the standard Sonos package but a separate item designed as a zone player to connect an external stereo amplifier to the wireless remote Sonos speaker.

I didn't want Music Banter members to get the false idea that they had to purchase a $349 Sonos Connect zone player in order to play music on their computer using wireless Sonos speakers. Sonos Connect is intended for the small group of people who want to integrate their Sonos wireless speakers into their existing home theater or hi-fi stereo system.

The Sonos Bridge connects to the remote wireless speaker using your computer's router, not an external amplifier. The Sonos Connect zone player is an irrelevant product to anyone who simply wants to play music on a home computer, laptop or electronic device. In the basic Sonos package, the Bridge device serves the exact same function the Sonos Connect using via a direct connection to the router without any connection to an external amplifier.

It's misleading to suggest that you need to purchase a $349 Connect zone player when a $49 Bridge (usually offered free with the purchase of a speaker) serves the same exact purpose, except those users who have distributed audio system that is driven from an amplifier in one central location.

I appreciate you comments because it allows forum readers to get a different perspective of the Sonos system, but I don't want a lot of confusion and misinformation created over the need to purchase an Sonos Connect unit in order to play MP3 files on your computer. I've set up the Sonos system on my computer and I didn't need to shell out $349 to purchase a Connect device because the Sonos Bridge serves that function with home computers.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote