Music Banter - View Single Post - God is in your mind?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #747 (permalink)
verdi
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
If you convert to Norse paganism, then I will too. If one person does it, it's weird, but if it's two people? That's a congregation.
Sounds good. Perhaps if we get a few more people to join us, a few millennia into the future people will think we were serious!

seekn4, I did understand what you said. I can see where you're coming from, and why you'd think that. But work with me here for a second. Is it not possible to find proof even if you're not looking for it. At least it has happened countless times to me, finding evidence for stuff that I wasn't really looking for.

I never asked for any evidence related to the Evolutionary Theory, yet I saw it long ago and thought it was very logical. I received my primary education in a catholic school, and in spite of everything I was told, I never saw any solid evidence.

Like I said, if all I have to do in order to find this god of yours is believe, then why believe in that specific god in the first place? If I'm going to believe, and thus find evidence, wouldn't it be way more interesting to believe in another god? Moreover, I'm not even entirely sure in which god to believe: there are different branches of Christianity, right?

I just ask you to understand that some people just don't want to believe in a god that allows some people to shoot over 20 kids in a school (yes, I know, he gave us the ability to choose, although that isn't really possible, since he is omniscient and therefore already knows what we're going to choose, so I can only conclude that he is indeed cruel).

Believing in a god is great, though. There is a reason why so many people do it. There's certainly a reason why you do it. Even if we discuss different gods, whatever the facts are, one thing is true for all them: they are all adored. People don't do it for fear of being punished (for that would be ridiculous), so why do they do it? I know some psychologists have conducted tests that have shown that faith (not the religious kind) brings about many positive effects, such as confidence, positive thinking, courage, etc. With those traits, you can definitely achieve a lot more than if you fear doing things.
Of course you can easily gather these traits if you would just believe in yourself instead, but religion sticks and it's an easier kind of faith.

Anyway, to each his own. I will watch the videos you recommended, as I like to look at both sides of the coin, but I'd like to ask you to watch Dennett's video on YouTube named "Belief in belief," or something like that. He's not one of my favourite philosophers (I think he spends too much time mocking the religious people, but I was lucky to see him in person a couple of years ago, so I am a little biased), but he does have a good point there, and you could maybe benefit from watching it. If not, at least you had a look at another point of view, which can never do anyone any harm, right?
verdi is offline   Reply With Quote