Music Banter - View Single Post - Am I the only one who doesn't like Nirvana...
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #55 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Jam View Post
What on Earth are you talking about? Of course there is a question of whether or not a band is one of "the greatest bands of all time". Any band can be the best or the worst depending on subjective musical tastes. If you think that there is some objective taste in music that is superior to all others, then you need to "grow up".

In that particular context, I'm not talking about subjective musical tastes. I'm talking about a general consensus regarding the impact, success, influence, popularity, etc.

In that regard there just is no argument. Nirvana was one of the greatest bands of all time.

There are plenty of artists that I don't particularly like very much, but I don't make attempts to strip them of what they deserve just because of that.

Not unless you're King Crimson, or someone who likes King Crimson or Genesis or whoever. I'm not the biggest prog fan by any means, but that doesn't mean that my subjective opinion of not particularly caring about a band's musical abilities should have any bearing on anyone else's opinion.

I never said talent wasn't important, or even necessary to a lot of bands. I hold a lot of respect for technical talent. I just said that talent is the most expendable attribute to rock music, which it is. Especially in contrast with classical or jazz music, which I adore.

I love King Crimson.

Sure they were influential, but what does that have to do with whether or not I should like them? If they don't appeal to me, then they don't appeal to me. It is what it is. It doesn't invalidate my own opinion any more than if I did like them. And I do like Nirvana BTW.

The OP wasn't merely addressing his opinion. He was attempting to discredit Nirvana for everything that they were. That has nothing to do with an opinion.

Come on. You just told someone else to grow up, so how can you justify this childish statement? I'm not someone who is opposed to having a heated debate with someone over music, but your arrogant attitude is ridiculous.

I get that all the time.

-Arrogant Ghost Jam
That's cool, and I don't wanna seem like I'm coming down on you for being passionate. I love passion for music. I myself have gone on several fanboy rants about Manowar and Hammerfall in recent memory on this site. But I don't truck with this hair band hate. They may be ****ty bands and their lyrics may be dumb, but many of them are more fun than shooting a barrel full of monkeys. And I will go to the mat any day of the week over Motley Crue's first two albums.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote