Music Banter - View Single Post - Am I the only one who doesn't like Nirvana...
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #67 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Jam View Post
I never think of Nirvana as "grunge"...and I don't think I ever did. I was 15 when Nevermind was released, and the most I remember about "grunge" was that it was the word our parents and Letterman were using to try and understand the music we were listening to.
Totally true. I've always felt like the word 'grunge' is kind of embarrassing. It was made up well after I loved Nirvana, anyway. And I hated that Nirvana was suddenly associated with the likes of Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots. I don't think it had much to do with adults trying to understand the music though. The word just kind of happened. I guess because the bands appeared...grungy?

One interesting thing that happened back then is that old people noticed these "grunge" bands because they were suddenly so popular, and saying that they were the return of "real rock music" because they were disgusted by music that was popular through the eighties. For instance, my friend's dad asked to borrow my Screaming Trees tape (Sweet Oblivion, their 6th album) because he said it was the best new music he'd heard since the seventies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Jam View Post
I view Cobain as perhaps the best lyricist since Dylan and the one band you can ALWAYS site as playing music from the bottom of their testicles.
I'm not sure what you mean about testicles but I've gotta disagree with you on the lyricism. I do think Cobain wrote pretty cool lyrics but documentary evidence has shown us that he wrote most of them just to fit into the song structures that were written beforehand. They were usually an afterthought and generally don't mean much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Nirvana was important to my generation, having graduated high school in 94. I enjoyed their music then and still enjoy it now.

I never worshiped them or Kurt Cobain.

I don't care who likes them or who doesn't.

They're just a milestone in the history of music like many other bands.

Of course you're not the only one not to like Nirvana.
This post makes the most sense to me. I got the 'Nevermind' tape for Xmas of 1991 and I don't think it left my car's tape deck until March. That time was as close as I ever got to worship. I think In Utero is a better album but I was never sad that there would be no more Nirvana albums after the suicide. Their existing music was plenty.