Music Banter - View Single Post - What Jazz album are you listening to?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 03:19 AM   #168 (permalink)
Euronomus
Dibs on the killing sound

Dave Douglas - Five

(^Not one of the best tracks imo but the only one I could find on YT)
Another album I found on my search for violin based free jazz. The band leader, Dave Douglas, is a trumpeter but on this record he plays with a string trio(violin,cello,bass) and a drummer. The group seems to function more as an equal collaboration, meaning there are more than enough violin leads and solo's to keep me happy(courtesy of violinist Mark Feldman). This album is all over the place(a good thing), from cacophony, to bizzaro world swing and bop, to a "late-night on a street corner under a lamppost" almost-solo trumpet pieces. I'm especially in love with the 42 second opening track "Invasive Procedure" which is probably the closest thing to a Converge/DEP track that a jazz group of this makeup will ever come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Actually I was talking about neither of those, but the second has the same opening track as the one I was talking about. This is the one I was referring to, the real one. I have no idea what those other two knockoffs are but they make me scared to ever try Spotify.
The version on the real one is actually the second track on the first one I was listening to(the first track on the second is a different version from the real one)if that makes any sense. So that means the track I was saying I liked in the first place was the same one you were upset i didn't like Damn Spotify