Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Jazz & Blues
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #161 (permalink)
Dibs on the killing sound
 
Euronomus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spider Scull Island
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarobbarg View Post

And if you are more into the experimental side of jazz, and aren't enjoying A Love Supreme, I would look into Coltrane's later work. In the late sixties he really started getting into free jazz, and it shows. I would try Ascension, Meditations, and Expression.
I kind of figured that was the case because while I didn't think that album was that great, I could definitely see how it would turn into the style I like.

Listening to "A Night In Tunesia" right now, didn't care for the first track but the second is pretty good.
__________________
Euronomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #162 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euronomus View Post
Listening to "A Night In Tunesia" right now, didn't care for the first track but the second is pretty good.
Really? That first track is my favorite on the album. It's like pure energy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #163 (permalink)
Dibs on the killing sound
 
Euronomus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spider Scull Island
Posts: 366
Default

Wait, Spotify seems to have two completely different albums by him with essentially the same name

I was listening to this one
A Night in Tunesia

But after listening to this I assume it's what you were referring to
Night in Tunisia
The first track here is much better.
__________________

Last edited by Euronomus; 01-09-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Euronomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #164 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euronomus View Post
Wait, Spotify seems to have two completely different albums by him with essentially the same name

I was listening to this one
A Night in Tunesia

But after listening to this I assume it's what you were referring to
Night in Tunisia
The first track here is much better.
Actually I was talking about neither of those, but the second has the same opening track as the one I was talking about. This is the one I was referring to, the real one. I have no idea what those other two knockoffs are but they make me scared to ever try Spotify.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #165 (permalink)
Dibs on the killing sound
 
Euronomus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spider Scull Island
Posts: 366
Default

Was looking for some violin led Free jazz:
Leroy Jenkins - Ai Glatson, pretty intense imo

Billy Bang - Vietnam the Aftermath, not really what I had in mind but still pretty good

__________________
Euronomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #166 (permalink)
Do good.
 
Blarobbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 2,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euronomus View Post
Billy Bang - Vietnam the Aftermath, not really what I had in mind but still pretty good

I owe you man, this is fantastic. I'm listening to his album Vietnam, The Aftermath right now. Holy. Crappola. I'm slavering right now.
__________________
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Blarobbarg

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #167 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 23
Default

ray charles, come live with me!
great album
recommend you all
smolanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:19 AM   #168 (permalink)
Dibs on the killing sound
 
Euronomus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spider Scull Island
Posts: 366
Default

Dave Douglas - Five

(^Not one of the best tracks imo but the only one I could find on YT)
Another album I found on my search for violin based free jazz. The band leader, Dave Douglas, is a trumpeter but on this record he plays with a string trio(violin,cello,bass) and a drummer. The group seems to function more as an equal collaboration, meaning there are more than enough violin leads and solo's to keep me happy(courtesy of violinist Mark Feldman). This album is all over the place(a good thing), from cacophony, to bizzaro world swing and bop, to a "late-night on a street corner under a lamppost" almost-solo trumpet pieces. I'm especially in love with the 42 second opening track "Invasive Procedure" which is probably the closest thing to a Converge/DEP track that a jazz group of this makeup will ever come.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Actually I was talking about neither of those, but the second has the same opening track as the one I was talking about. This is the one I was referring to, the real one. I have no idea what those other two knockoffs are but they make me scared to ever try Spotify.
The version on the real one is actually the second track on the first one I was listening to(the first track on the second is a different version from the real one)if that makes any sense. So that means the track I was saying I liked in the first place was the same one you were upset i didn't like Damn Spotify
__________________
Euronomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #169 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2
Default

Jonathon Kreisburg - Night songs
bondmorkret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #170 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
PhD Researcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western New York
Posts: 82
Default

Classified in the funk sub-genre: Jon Cleary / Pin your Spin. Can't listen to this without my feet goin' a bit crazy
Attached Thumbnails
What Jazz album are you listening to?-jon-cleary-spin.jpg  
__________________
Music is Love /
PhD Researcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.