Music Banter - View Single Post - I take more comfort in atheism
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #116 (permalink)
ManWithNoName
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekn4 View Post
Funny you say that because it has been uncovered that 1000s of years ago they knew the planets revolved around the sun. And later the worldly belief was different. It seems like when people congregate and try to form their own little empire or govt or religion they actually regress in knowledge. And it always seem that the "worldly" perceptions are ALWAYS proved wrong in time of you study history. That kind of makes you want to open your mind up and think for yourself.
Well that was my main point. Perceptions change depending on the environment and time period. In other words, the environment we live in will always be bigger than the current common or not so common perception of it, essentially supporting the validity of agnosticism.

I was aware that some Romans may have had perceptions of the earth being a sphere due to measuring diameters and so on. However, it is severely doubtful that many people 1000 years ago realised the universe was bigger than to support human life on earth and that it was expanding - considering even Einstein did not realise the latter and many people to this present day are not bothered about it.
ManWithNoName is offline   Reply With Quote