Music Banter - View Single Post - Jimi Hendrix's Guitar Playing Criticized in Article
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
^Sounds like canned pop bull**** to me.^

While I'm a pretty open-minded person, I can't help but think his trampling on the popular opinion may be an attempt at getting some views on the net. Which seems to be working for now, and will probably backfire on him at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euronomus View Post

This is a horrible argument and is one of my biggest pet peeves. Lacking talent in one art form has no bearing on a persons ability to asses another's work. If this argument had any validity the only people who could hold any views on music would be people who are good musicians. If someone was praising Hendrix would you say "what do you, know you can't write a good song"? Of course not, but somehow people seem to think this is a viable counter-argument to criticism of their favorite artist's.
But if he has such a keen ear for talent in other people's musi why doesn't he aplly the high standards to his own music. If he expects Jimi to be flawless why isn't he flawless? That is what I was getting at, I really don't think he room to talk bad about Jimi Hendrix without implicating himself into the same type of ridicule. He might be a better critic because he's more brazen in who and what he's tackling, still I don't think he has room to speak based on the level of his own musicianmanship.

Purple Haze, from reading Marcus Singletary's article maybe he missed the point of the song. Jimi was an avid reader of Sci-fi and the song is based on a paperbook he read. To me, Jimi bridge the gap between two art forms (fantasy and music) which is often done in Prog and Metal. So in that sense Hendrix was an innovator (or one of many innavators).

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote