Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Haha wow. What a pretentious *******. This guy is criticizing Hendrix? By the sounds of it, he couldn't write a song as good as Hendrix in his wildest dreams.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mwana Nzala
 
Franco Pepe Kalle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Shakopee, Minnesota
Posts: 603
Default

Good point Blastings. Regardless Hendrix was one rare talent.
__________________
The problem with Franco Pepe Kalle is that he is a unpredictable character. There is surprising info about this man. You think he only likes Franco and Pepe Kalle but when you find out that he hears other artists, you are shock.

Girls are the sexy thing that God created.

Important to notice FPK.
Franco Pepe Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dibs on the killing sound
 
Euronomus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spider Scull Island
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Haha wow. What a pretentious *******. This guy is criticizing Hendrix? By the sounds of it, he couldn't write a song as good as Hendrix in his wildest dreams.

This is a horrible argument and is one of my biggest pet peeves. Lacking talent in one art form has no bearing on a persons ability to asses another's work. If this argument had any validity the only people who could hold any views on music would be people who are good musicians. If someone was praising Hendrix would you say "what do you, know you can't write a good song"? Of course not, but somehow people seem to think this is a viable counter-argument to criticism of their favorite artist's.
__________________
Euronomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Justifiable Idiocracy
 
Bloozcrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euronomus View Post

This is a horrible argument and is one of my biggest pet peeves. Lacking talent in one art form has no bearing on a persons ability to asses another's work. If this argument had any validity the only people who could hold any views on music would be people who are good musicians. If someone was praising Hendrix would you say "what do you, know you can't write a good song"? Of course not, but somehow people seem to think this is a viable counter-argument to criticism of their favorite artist's.
Ok I wasn't even going to acknowledge this thread cause the main topic is just laughable and absurd. However the above mentioned is one almost as ridculous imo. How in the hell could someone with no talent in a certain area of life be more inclined to tell someone who does, anything about their profession? You think as a musician I'm going to listen to some doosh who cant play or sing a notegive me advice over someone who can and is an accomplished musician? Uhh no..thats effin retarded dude if you ask me and I just dont see the logic in it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Fuck you, bloozin! Your stupid thread too!
<DoctorSoft>: You know life is good when you take Viagra to jack off lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
- Hendrix didn't even play the blues that well -

Amongst Mb's Most
Hated
(Smiley Face)
Bloozcrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
quarantined
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
^Sounds like canned pop bull**** to me.^

While I'm a pretty open-minded person, I can't help but think his trampling on the popular opinion may be an attempt at getting some views on the net. Which seems to be working for now, and will probably backfire on him at some point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Euronomus View Post

This is a horrible argument and is one of my biggest pet peeves. Lacking talent in one art form has no bearing on a persons ability to asses another's work. If this argument had any validity the only people who could hold any views on music would be people who are good musicians. If someone was praising Hendrix would you say "what do you, know you can't write a good song"? Of course not, but somehow people seem to think this is a viable counter-argument to criticism of their favorite artist's.
But if he has such a keen ear for talent in other people's musi why doesn't he aplly the high standards to his own music. If he expects Jimi to be flawless why isn't he flawless? That is what I was getting at, I really don't think he room to talk bad about Jimi Hendrix without implicating himself into the same type of ridicule. He might be a better critic because he's more brazen in who and what he's tackling, still I don't think he has room to speak based on the level of his own musicianmanship.

Purple Haze, from reading Marcus Singletary's article maybe he missed the point of the song. Jimi was an avid reader of Sci-fi and the song is based on a paperbook he read. To me, Jimi bridge the gap between two art forms (fantasy and music) which is often done in Prog and Metal. So in that sense Hendrix was an innovator (or one of many innavators).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ? Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ? ???? ? ? ?????
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 4,924
Default

I adore Jimi Hendrix.

But why shouldn't anyone criticise him? Criticise away.
__________________

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Dibs on the killing sound
 
Euronomus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spider Scull Island
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloozcrooz View Post
You think as a musician I'm going to listen to some doosh who cant play or sing a note give me advice over someone who can and is an accomplished musician? Uhh no..thats effin retarded dude if you ask me and I just dont see the logic in it.
What you are positing is a completely separate scenario than what's occurring here, of course if you're looking for constructive criticism and suggestions while creating a piece-a person who knows nothing about music would be the worst person to ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
But if he has such a keen ear for talent in other people's musi why doesn't he aplly the high standards to his own music. If he expects Jimi to be flawless why isn't he flawless? That is what I was getting at, I really don't think he room to talk bad about Jimi Hendrix without implicating himself into the same type of ridicule. He might be a better critic because he's more brazen in who and what he's tackling, still I don't think he has room to speak based on the level of his own musicianmanship.

Art is meant to be experienced on a non-technical and more subjective level, it's about experiencing something and not about how somethings done. We all have the ability to absorb a piece of art and come to a conclusion about how effective it is. Yes a knowledge of music theory can enhance enjoyment and alter your perspective on others work. That doesn't mean your opinion is somehow better or the lack of that knowledge invalidates another's opinion.
__________________
Euronomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Well of course anyone has the right to criticize whatever they want, he's entitled to his opinion. And my opinion, after listening to his music, is that his opinion isn't worth ****. It's just rude and foolish. It would be different if he were a musician of very high caliber and respect, but he's not.

Anytime I criticize someone I always remind myself that I don't have much room to speak. I think this guy should do the same.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Justifiable Idiocracy
 
Bloozcrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,227
Default

I didn't even give it a second thought after reading the opening to this thread. I didn't listen to the song either cause after reading what he stated there was no reason too. Someone who makes remarks like that about arguably two of the biggest music icons of all time could not be capable of making very good music of his own. The only thing his music could hope to reflect is his ignorance and lack of musical intuition. As judging from the responses in this thread he accomplished.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Fuck you, bloozin! Your stupid thread too!
<DoctorSoft>: You know life is good when you take Viagra to jack off lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
- Hendrix didn't even play the blues that well -

Amongst Mb's Most
Hated
(Smiley Face)
Bloozcrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Dibs on the killing sound
 
Euronomus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spider Scull Island
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Well of course anyone has the right to criticize whatever they want, he's entitled to his opinion. And my opinion, after listening to his music, is that his opinion isn't worth ****. It's just rude and foolish. It would be different if he were a musician of very high caliber and respect, but he's not.
It's not just that he's entitled to his opinion, his opinion can be just as valid as a musicians. while I do disagree with him(Hendix has never been a favorite, but he's an amazing player and a good songwriter), Saying that a lack of musical knowledge invalidates his ability to make a reasonable and cogent argument about a piece of music or a musician is so to miss the point of music altogether.
__________________
Euronomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.