Music Banter - View Single Post - Jimi Hendrix's Guitar Playing Criticized in Article
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Euronomus
Dibs on the killing sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloozcrooz View Post
You think as a musician I'm going to listen to some doosh who cant play or sing a note give me advice over someone who can and is an accomplished musician? Uhh no..thats effin retarded dude if you ask me and I just dont see the logic in it.
What you are positing is a completely separate scenario than what's occurring here, of course if you're looking for constructive criticism and suggestions while creating a piece-a person who knows nothing about music would be the worst person to ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
But if he has such a keen ear for talent in other people's musi why doesn't he aplly the high standards to his own music. If he expects Jimi to be flawless why isn't he flawless? That is what I was getting at, I really don't think he room to talk bad about Jimi Hendrix without implicating himself into the same type of ridicule. He might be a better critic because he's more brazen in who and what he's tackling, still I don't think he has room to speak based on the level of his own musicianmanship.

Art is meant to be experienced on a non-technical and more subjective level, it's about experiencing something and not about how somethings done. We all have the ability to absorb a piece of art and come to a conclusion about how effective it is. Yes a knowledge of music theory can enhance enjoyment and alter your perspective on others work. That doesn't mean your opinion is somehow better or the lack of that knowledge invalidates another's opinion.