Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #448 (permalink)
anticipation
Music Addict

All My Babies Mamas: Decency Wins And ‘All My Babies’ Mamas’ Loses | Breaking News for Black America

It looks like All My Babies' Mamas isn't going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPR
The Oxygen reality special was supposed to follow Shawty Lo, a rapper from Atlanta, and the complications that attend his relationships with the mothers (10) of his children (11). It was scheduled to premiere this spring, but almost as soon as it was announced in December, there was outcry from people who felt that the show propped up demeaning stereotypes about black people. Oxygen announced Tuesday that the show will be scuttled before it even airs. (Shawty Lo is reportedly fighting back with a petition of his own urging the network to reverse course again and let Babies' Mamas see the light of day.

A petition by Color of Change, an influential advocacy organization, accused Oxygen of trying to profit from "inaccurate, dehumanizing, and harmful perceptions of Black families."

The form-letter petition goes on:

Research shows that inflammatory images like these can result in real world consequences for our families, including less attention from doctors, harsher sentencing by judges, lower likelihood of being hired or admitted to school, lower odds of getting loans, and a higher likelihood of getting shot by police.
anticipation is offline   Reply With Quote