Music Banter - View Single Post - Was Exile On Mainstreet Their White Album.....
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
I don't think I said anything about the production at all.

What exactly do you want from this? I think saying it sounds like second rate versions of the styles they are trying to pull off is fairly specific. Do you want a song by song analysis of this thing?

I think I left plenty of room for more discussion. How about you tell me why you DON'T think they are half assed versions of their influences? Did they add to them in some meaningful way? Was the nostalgia factor enough to keep you interested? Because for me they weren't. There's a topic right there. Proceed.
Why don't I think they were half-assed versions? Because what do the songs on Exile sound like from previous albums? Also, its absurd to ask if there was a nostalgia-factor involved since I was born well after the album came out. I assume you were as well.

To me, the music on Exile was less pop and more raw, which given the topics seemed to lend itself to the material. Songs like Sweet Virginia was the sloppy that defines the stones. The tight, polished, upbeat tempo of things like Brown Sugar or Jumping Jack Flash were gone. Off of My Cloud and Paint it Blacks pop sheen were gone. This was the stones in the grime that made them the stones.

When you hear Shine a Light, its as if the Allman Brothers had sex with Ray Charles in a bathtub full of Scotch and Sweet Tea. If I were looking for the closest sounding big track to compare it to, I guess I'd say "Can't always get what you want" but to suggest its the same thing is reaching (IMO).

Tumbling Dice I guess is comparable to maybe Honky Tonk Women or Wild Horses, but it comes with a funked out soul groove that the other two just don't have. If the Stones had previously been in Nashville or Chicago on other records, Exile is in New Orleans.