Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
Engorged Member
 
sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
I love blues and early rock n roll, I'm not a Beatles fanboy, and I still don't think too highly of Exile.
I'm not a huge fan of Exile either. It would be a lot better as a single album - and even then, they'd have better albums.
__________________
last.fm | my collection on RYM | vinyl instagram @allthatyouseeandhear
I'd love to see your signature/links too, but the huge and obnoxious ones have caused me to block all signatures.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

I don't see how it would be better as a single album.
Each of the 4 sides of the album have very different character and even as a double album it barely reaches over an hour in length.

To me it's 15 minutes of rock followed by 15 minutes of country followed by 15 minutes of blues followed by 20 minutes of everything mixed together.

I don't really see how it can be considered boring.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,721
Default

Exactly because of the reason I stated...

It's 15 minutes of half assed rock followed by 15 minutes of half assed country, etc.

Stones albums are better when they are consistent and focused.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Exactly because of the reason I stated...

It's 15 minutes of half assed rock followed by 15 minutes of half assed country, etc.

Stones albums are better when they are consistent and focused.
Well, it was recorded in a kitchen and they only turned up the vocals if they thought the lyrics merited it. So would you prefer that they had Bob Rock produce it? Or would you prefer that they made Sticky Fingers pt. 2?

When you say boring, it kills the discussion. What was boring about it? In addition to what Urban said, its also got soul and gospel in there.

Can you give me a comparably boring album? Trying to figure out what aspect bores you is like pulling teeth.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Well, it was recorded in a kitchen and they only turned up the vocals if they thought the lyrics merited it. So would you prefer that they had Bob Rock produce it? Or would you prefer that they made Sticky Fingers pt. 2?

When you say boring, it kills the discussion. What was boring about it? In addition to what Urban said, its also got soul and gospel in there.

Can you give me a comparably boring album? Trying to figure out what aspect bores you is like pulling teeth.
I don't think I said anything about the production at all.

What exactly do you want from this? I think saying it sounds like second rate versions of the styles they are trying to pull off is fairly specific. Do you want a song by song analysis of this thing?

I think I left plenty of room for more discussion. How about you tell me why you DON'T think they are half assed versions of their influences? Did they add to them in some meaningful way? Was the nostalgia factor enough to keep you interested? Because for me they weren't. There's a topic right there. Proceed.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Exile either. It would be a lot better as a single album - and even then, they'd have better albums.
It is interesting that you mentioned that because I read all the time that when asked people express the notion that the White album would have been more focused and perhaps better if it had been a single album. George Martin even suggested it to them......
neardeathexperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #27 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neardeathexperience View Post
Well to be honest there is a collection of "country, hard rock, blues, gospel and island style" music on Exile which I think is a close equal to the Beatle's country, blues and pop offerings.
Exile on Main Street came out in '72 about 2 year after The Beatles threw in the towel, it was a more edgier brand of Rock - considering what The Beatles did. The Beatles played more of 60's style of Country, where when the Stones played more 70's style of Country, even though some of it was tongue in cheek. The Rolling Stones owned The Beatles when it came to the Blues. I don't know what you mean a close equal to The Beatles.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
I don't think I said anything about the production at all.

What exactly do you want from this? I think saying it sounds like second rate versions of the styles they are trying to pull off is fairly specific. Do you want a song by song analysis of this thing?

I think I left plenty of room for more discussion. How about you tell me why you DON'T think they are half assed versions of their influences? Did they add to them in some meaningful way? Was the nostalgia factor enough to keep you interested? Because for me they weren't. There's a topic right there. Proceed.
Why don't I think they were half-assed versions? Because what do the songs on Exile sound like from previous albums? Also, its absurd to ask if there was a nostalgia-factor involved since I was born well after the album came out. I assume you were as well.

To me, the music on Exile was less pop and more raw, which given the topics seemed to lend itself to the material. Songs like Sweet Virginia was the sloppy that defines the stones. The tight, polished, upbeat tempo of things like Brown Sugar or Jumping Jack Flash were gone. Off of My Cloud and Paint it Blacks pop sheen were gone. This was the stones in the grime that made them the stones.

When you hear Shine a Light, its as if the Allman Brothers had sex with Ray Charles in a bathtub full of Scotch and Sweet Tea. If I were looking for the closest sounding big track to compare it to, I guess I'd say "Can't always get what you want" but to suggest its the same thing is reaching (IMO).

Tumbling Dice I guess is comparable to maybe Honky Tonk Women or Wild Horses, but it comes with a funked out soul groove that the other two just don't have. If the Stones had previously been in Nashville or Chicago on other records, Exile is in New Orleans.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 531
Default

I would like to point out that a lot of the songs that were left off Exile On Main Street would have made some great options for future albums. In my opinion some of them are even better then what ended up on the album! Plundered My Soul, Good Time Woman, etc etc it's all there in glowing black and white.
neardeathexperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
The Aerosol in your Soul
 
Rjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
When you hear Shine a Light, its as if the Allman Brothers had sex with Ray Charles in a bathtub full of Scotch and Sweet Tea.
__________________
last.fm
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.