Music Banter - View Single Post - Greatest songwriting duo ever ?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnConnington View Post
Hi all you MBers!
My top 5:

Jagger & Richards
Lennon & McCartney
Morrissey & Marr
Strummer & Jones
Page & Plant

!

Do you agree? Who else would you have?
I don't know, maybe if it's only UK Rock bands. As much as I like The Smiths I think there could be other canidates that are just as worthy at the #3 spot. Most bands I like write as a band and I really don't know if there is a songwriting duo behind them. I think one of the best that doesn't get mention much as a writing team is Winwood/Capaldi (with Chris Wood on some tracks). I think Jim Capaldi is under-rated as a songwriter. His lyrics had meaning behind them. Even the next bunch really wrote some meaningful lyrics as well. Since they didn't write hundreds of hits, I give them honourable mention: Difford & Tilbrook, Ashford and Simpson, Leiber and Stoller, Gamble and Huff. And another honourable mention to Rice and Webber, I mean "Jesus Christ Superstar" rocked like it was written by Curved Air.

Steve Winwood and Jim Capaldi
Paper Sun
Pearly Queen
The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Freedom Rider
Empty Pages
Dear Mr. Fantasy (Capaldi, Winwood, Wood)
Heaven Is in Your Mind (Capaldi, Winwood, Wood)

Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook
Vanity Fair
Annie Get Your Gun
Black Coffee in Bed
Up The Junction
Tempted

Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson
Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing
California Soul (5th Dimension, Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, and Marlena Shaw)
Reach Out and Touch (Somebody's Hand)
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
You're All I Need to Get By

Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller
Jail House Rock
Kansas City
Stand By Me

Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff
If You Don't Know Me by Now
Love Train
Me and Mrs. Jones (with Cary Gilbert)
TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)
List of songwriter collaborations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I don't really have favorite songwriter duos because it's not something I've really reflected on, but I guess I could mention that I think Burt Bacharach & Hal David and Elton John & Bernie Taupin are worthy of mentions in this thread.
Did you ever have a reflection upon Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus? I was curious since you live relatively close to ground zero. I mean respectively compare to where other members live. I don't know if you are strictly Prog, (I guess what I'm asking) did you ever have a foray into Pop?

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 02-27-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote