Music Banter - View Single Post - Last chance to evacuate Earth...
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
How did I single out Africans for exclusion?
Because the only "bad genes" you mentioned were those that result in sickle cell disease, a condition that that primarily affects people of African decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Africa represents a wealth of humanity's genetic diversity and that should of course be represented in humanity's survivist colony. Go back far enough and we're all africans.

The close family comment may be a little hard to get for people who don't study biology, but evolution rewards the procreation of genes. You give your genes to your kids which pass them on to their kids and so, in a way, what makes you you will still exist in the future. This has implications like we tend to be nicer to people whom we share genes with. Because humans are not that genetically diverse, that may well explain in part why we are so seemingly altruistic and good at cooperating and it also means that the people going away on that ship carry with them part of what makes you you. Probably more so if a representative from your nation, ethnic minority, etc, is on that ship.

So, if they are "sufficiently diverse", I would regard the group of colonists going as someone who ensures not just the survival of themselves (which I expect is what leads to comments like "shoot them into a black hole"), but all of us.
Again, Tore, I just found it humorous because of how your comment sounded, not what you actually meant. I was joking with the eugenics comment, hence the laughing smiley.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote