Music Banter - View Single Post - A small guide on how to listen to high quality music spending very little money.
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
edwardc77
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Hmmm...

Ok.

First off, no matter the bitrate of their MP3s or otherwise, if they're listening on laptop speakers, they'll still be highly limited by the range of frequencies those speakers can produce. If listening solely via that method, bitrate is not really going to matter much... so I guess the rest of this will be assuming that the listener has listening equipment that can accurately translate what's going on in their audio.

1. You're assuming that everyone buying MP3s are buying 128 kbps versions. This would be a colossal mistake. 320 kbps is generally the bitrate any digital download is now offering for sale. While there is a measure of compression involved in any MP3 compression, I challenge you to offer up a 320 kbps vs. WAV format of the same material in a blind test and see if anyone can tell the difference. If you can, I challenge you to be challenged to the same test where you don't know the outcome.
I also challenge you to coming up with a self-test that compares a flac version of an original WAV file compared to a 320 kbps MP3 file and tell the difference over multiple iterations. Please let us know how that works out for you.

2. While you may be correct in some cases, you are not correct in all. And until you can provide evidence that you've heard every remastered album ever existing, I will assume your statement is based on the bad experience you've perceived yourself to have, while completely disregarding any positive experiences you've chosen to forget. Not to mention all the experiences you've never had.

3. While I agree that consumer-level listening equipment tends to be over-hyped, sonically inflated garbage, I think it's more than fallacious to assume that because your listening goals are your own, that everyone else's should be the same. Some folks just like to hear their music extra bassy and extra screechy. If that wasn't the case, every listening solution out there would present a dead flat response. The job as audio engineers is not to put them down for their preferences. The job is to make the audio they listen to translate well no matter what their preferences.

Part 2:

I don't know why you're recommending flash memory cards. There is a such thing as hard drives. This is completely capable of storing audio files no matter what format or bitrate, and probably has more capacity than a flash card. The memory card recommendation you made is completely asinine.

Secondly, you mention a certain pair of headphones as situationally optimum. If you knew anything about stereo field and true reproduction of such, you wouldn't be recommending headphones at all. But since you're obviously talking about a portable solution, I will let this slide, even though your solution is largely dictated by your own preference, since if you were the authoritative individual on the subject, I'd probably have read your publication, or you would have posted it.

Finally, you mention a specific player to obtain optimal results for this portable solution, but I've yet to see any evidence provided by you that one player can translate a standard audio file better than the next. When you're ready with that dissertation, let me know.

Part 3:

You basically provided an arbitrary, expensive solution to listening to music on laptop speakers. If anyone follows your advice, they will notice an increase in sound quality via the mere fact that they are no longer listening to the music on laptop speakers. I could probably achieve the same effect, unnoticable by them to any degree, simply offering a headphone solution plugged straight into their laptop.
What you THINK you're doing, is incorrect.
And I THINK that if you're unwilling to acknowledge that fact, then you should keep your absurd and unnecessary directives to yourself, so you don't have people making unnecessary purchases just to adhere to your perspective of how audio should be enjoyed.

Thanks, and have a nice day.
I’ll give you a reply but next time read what I have written more carefully.

1: I didn’t assume that everyone buying mp3s will be buying 128kbps files. I assumed that most people, (especially those who download their music illegally) will have a lot of those files on their pc.
Yes provided you have decent equipment most people can tell the difference between mp3s (even 320Kbps) and an uncompressed format. I can tell the difference even with bad equipment, but that’s my job.

2: I never said that I always correct in all cases. I even said that there were exceptions like for jazz and classical music. But when we are talking about rock and pop records from the last 25 years its 95% safe to assume that the music has been brickwalled.

3: The job of a good audio engineer should be towards audio fidelity. You wouldn’t buy a TV that gave you a blurry picture, right?

Part 2
I recommended flash memory cards because it was part of my portable system.
I mentioned headphones because the budget I proposed was of 100 dollars, with that kind of money real speakers could not be afforded.
No, I’m not an authoritative figure (whatever that means) ,I don’t do publications because I’m not a researcher, as I said I’m an Electronic Engineer my dissertation was on Gaussian Noise. Do you know what a dissertation is ? It’s a lengthy and formal academic paper, you don’t do dissertations on generic topics, like media players, at least not in Science.
May I know your credentials?
Regarding any evidence provided by me that one player can translate a standard audio file better than the next. …well I used my ears, just like I did for the headphones and in many cases that was more than enough.

Part 3
Of course my solution is arbitrary, it’s my personal opinion.
If you ask me if you could achieve the same effect by just simply plugging in the headphones to your laptop, my answer is maybe. I don’t know what kind of computer you have, how old it is and the quality of your sound card, so it’s not something that I can guarantee for everyone.

Last edited by edwardc77; 04-16-2013 at 09:12 AM.
edwardc77 is offline   Reply With Quote