Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rules of Etiquette
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #42 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Call me the old dinosaur, the knight in tarnished armour or just an old fart, but I hold doors for women, mind my language around them (and children), rush to help any woman struggling with a heavy weight (like a woman in front of me in the queue at the supermarket trying to lift a 20-pack of beer out of her trolley to be scanned; I lifted it out for her and back in when the thing was finished), don't wear a hat but might tip it in the presence of a woman if I did, give up my seat to ladies on buses and all the other good stuff. I don't go out much now at all and certainly not with a girl but on the odd occasions when I did she might as well have left her money at home, as I considered that I was taking her out (even only as friends) so I was paying for everything.

And yeah, with me it is mostly women, just how I was brought up. But I'd do some of these things (open doors, give up seat, let someone in in front of me in a queue etc) for older people of either gender. But not dogs. Dogs can ****ing wait till I've put my shopping through. The cheek of them.

I think not so much etiquette but good manners/chivalry can really help make the world go round. Course it doesn't always work and sometimes you get scorned and frowned at, but when it's appreciated it can make someone's day a little better I always feel. Oh, and I always give compliments to women --- assuming I know them --- cos I know that where compliments are concerned you are all greedy, ravenous monsters wanting
more MORE MORE!