Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rules of Etiquette
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #45 (permalink)
P A N
DO LIKE YOU.

etiquette and chivalry are something i have a lot of respect for, reason being that it creates an order to things which leaves out the possibility of awkwardness concerning certain things. to me it's the same as knowing what kind of wine goes with a certain meal or what to wear to a certain event.

the funny/trying thing about it is, that certain aspects of etiquette and chivalry are still readily expected while others are found to be offensive. this lies more in the department of chivalry really, as some women find fault with anything that can (in my opinion artbitrarily) subtract from their show of independence. i can respect that, but truth be told, thinking/acting that way complicates things and when someone opens a door for you, just say thank you, no matter what sex you are.

personally, when i'm on a date, i expect a woman to be lady-like. if she doesn't, i don't hold it against her, but i notice it. what i notice even more is when a woman waits for a door to be opened for her. i feel blessed to be in the company of women who expect a gentleman out of me. it's not that i crave dainty women or women who need to be taken care of. it's just classy when a woman can fuse independence with the manners of a lady.

all that being said, i've never ordered on behalf of a woman. i don't personally think that's gentlemanly at all unless she's voiced a personal need or desire to have that done for her, which has never happened to me aside from a drink here and there. other than that, i hold doors for anyone who is behind me. i walk on the road-side of any sidewalk when in the company of women. i try not to swear, but usually fail at some point. i pay for everything unless an issue is made of it. i hold and carry bags and whatever else it takes to relieve women or the elderly of tasks that might make one dirty or tired. i pull chairs out and push them back in. i smoke as far away as possible from non-smokers and will leave any group when i have to fart or burp. all that stuff. i just think it's cool. that, and i was raised to pay a high respect to elders and women. i couldn't shake it if i tried.
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote