Music Banter - View Single Post - Best rapper alive?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #315 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankycaaant View Post
Pac repeatedly felt the need to keep reminding everyone how much a 'thug' he was, despite being a drama school graduate.
Never denied the thug image was apart of his market. However, his childhood was not perfect and he did struggle.

Quote:
It's almost as bad as Ice Cube talking about his ghetto upbringing.
Do you make all your opinions off of assumptions?

Ice Cube was actually apart of a gang and grew up in a bad area. (There is nothing fake about that)

Before Jay Z was even signed to a record label... Ice Cube was pioneering gangsta rap/street as a memeber of NWA. So dont get that twisted. He is criminally underrated.

Quote:
So, Pac talked about different things than Jay, how does that make him more 'influential'
You see far more rappers using the same content Jay did than you see emulate Pac. Surely this means Jay-Z's more influential.
Once again most of the rappers over the last 10 years in mainstream have done gangsta rap/street life. There isnt much depth in the mainstream rap music. Like I told you previously, Jay Z did not pioneer this. This was going on before Jay Z was even signed to a label! I suggest you listen to other rappers besides Jay Z lol Jay Z did not invent the type of rap that is out now.

He is more influential because there are more rappers that site him as an influence and he has more influential abums that has helped the progression of the genre such as 7 Day Thoery, Me Against The World etc

You keep talking about all these influences Jay Z . Nas, Krs One, DMX, 50 cent, The Game etc have all publicly criticized his music.

Your point?

Quote:
Nor has he claimed to. It's like criticizing Justin Bieber for not being as environmentally active as Al Gore.
Jay Z has made NUMEROUS conceited statements that indicates he thinks he as well as his music is more important than what it is.

Quote:
Okay, so now we've taken BIG out the equation surely, because he's the personification of what you seem to hate about Jay-Z.
I dont hate Jay Z. I just think he is overrated and there are more deserving MCs that deserves the credit that he gets who have actually done more for hip hop (community wise and music wise).

Quote:
Does Pac getting all preachy about social inequality validate him as a superior rapper? No. That is the basis of your argument.
If you actually read my previous posts that was not the only reason I gave. He is more lyrically superior and a talented songwriter. He also was a much better performer.

Quote:
I also challenge you to find Jay lyrics that same any of what you mentioned.
Will definitly do.

Quote:
I don't relate to 2Pac. How does his music speak to me as a white teenager growing up in a Scottish village. Songs like 'Song Cry' talk about relationships and love, which is more relatable than the 'ghetto' which by comparison is a niche subject.
Well if you actually listened to his music instead of making judgements about music you dont listen to, you will find that his music does not just consist of "the ghetto" and he actually discusses social, political, prejudice, love, life, success etc. You might would open your mind to a different perspective if actually listened to his music instead of being judgemental just because Jay Z is your favorite rapper. Just because you might not relate to his experiences or outlook doesnt mean you can not be open minded especially if you call yourself a hip hop fan. That is how and why hip hop was created it.

I seriously dont believe how you can expect for anyone to take your arguement seriously when you havent listen to any of 2pac music but yet want to make bold claims about his music.

Quote:
You use the word 'classic' profusely. What does that even mean? They have longevity?
Classic as in "timeless" music that regardless of the time period/era the song or album came out, it will still be relevant or listened to in the future.

Albums like Whats Goin On, Thriller, etc are classics.

Quote:
As in the same way that albums like Reasonable Doubt are still popular today?
What makes that album currently popular? How is it relevant today?

Quote:
You use the word 'classic' like it means something. In reality it's you blindly chucking around the term as if it somehow gives your opinion weight. It doesn't.
Actually it does if the media is proclaiming him to be the best rapper ever and he doesnt have a strong back catalogue of classics.

Quote:
You haven't described how Ready to Die is any more a classic than The Blueprint. How is the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill more important than The Black Album? Come on, please do explain..
Before I even make my arguement, have you actually listened to these albums??

Quote:
DMX is one of the worst rappers of all time. He has nothing of validity to say. His gimmick is barking at a mic and uttering mindless homophobic jibes. He cannot freestyle nor can he structure a cohesive verse.
Definitly false. Do you listen to DMX? He would crush Jay Z in a free style battle. LOL NO QUESTION

He made the same kind of music Jay Z made but he actually can free style/battle... Jay Z cant.

Quote:
What makes 'real' hip-hop? Shooting each other with guns? Does that make 2Pac and BIG 'real' hip-hop artists?
That is not "hip hop" and you obviously have a misrepresentation of what hip hop is which makes your arguement even more pathetic and very ignorant.
Hip Hip is a subculture, way of life and is not just about "music" and "shooting guns".

Quote:
How many times, HE NEVER CLAIMED HE WAS A POLITICAL RAPPER!!! That does not make 2Pac a greater rapper because he touched on politics in his music.
LOL

When did I cal 2pac the greatest rapper????

I think you need to calm down because you stanning hard for Jay Z over there and are just making up things lol.

The point is 2pac had more depth and artistic merit to his music than Jay Z has which contradicts all the accolades he receives.

Jay Z has made numerous statements insisting his music is deep and that it is more important than what it actual is.

Quote:
The same way it wasn't about Nas or Rakim, but you felt it was necessary to bring them up.
Actually, they originally were being discussed with the likes of Jay Z in the beginning of the discussion before it moved to just specifically Jay Z vs BIG/2pac. I compared NAS/Rakim to Jay to show that there are more talented rappers from Jay Zs era that are better to refute his "best rapper title". I was making a point that was related to the discussion so bringing them up was justified

Quote:
How does he have 'stronger albums' please explain how that is little more than your opinion.
Stronger as in more authenticity and creativity.

Quote:
But we've already established Jay-Z has had more critical acclaim. How is 2Pac any more iconic? Because people like you print off his 'quotes' from Tumblr?
Why dont you listen to his music find out?

How are those 2Pac albums any more influential? Please give reasons behind your wild accusations. Are you trying to say Jay-Z isn't an international icon and that many rappers haven't cited him as an influence?

Quote:
I've explained in my posts to Fluffy Kittens, why I favour The Blueprint. Outwith saying they're 'political' or 'classics' I'd like you to explain why you feel 7 Day Theory and Against the World are better albums.
In a nut shell, they are more creative and artistic. They have better quality lyrics that reflect a theme throughout. The albums cohesive and allt his songs are different from one another. The production is experimental and fits the nature of the theme. The lyrics tell a story in cleaver ways such as through metaphors, imagery and descriptions that are creatively executed. He tackles complex and controversial issues and he manages to do it in a artistc way

Quote:
The point I originally made is that Jay-Z has had more influence in the genre than BIG or Pac. So far you have failed to disprove that.
How?

You havent proven your point either.

Quote:
How, please explain? Why is saying Jay-Z is superior to BIG and Pac 'embarrassing'
Make sure you read this post because in a couple posts down you argue you never implied this.

Its embarrassing because Tupac has more raw talent and the back catalogue. BIG has a stronger back catalogue as well. They have been the most iconic mainstream rap figures in rap music since their passing and they also have been the most cited rappers as influences within the last 10 years

Quote:
This is my favourite. I don't know what political means?
"It doesn't have to be about government, but is has to be about things that affect the government?"
And social issues; aren't social issues they are in fact political issues, are they?
I sure as hell hope you never have to explain to a class of children what 'political' means.
From your previous response and based on this response you dont know what it means which is why I explained it.

Okay, so by you're definition, I was correct. Then why did you have to explain it, as I obviously already know. You just said so yourself.

Quote:
JAY Z IS NOT, NOR HAS HE EVER CLAIMED TO BE A POLITICAL RAPPER. You keep going round and round in circles and are yet to make ONE valid point!
I never said that he insisted he was a political rapper but he has made conceited comments that suggest his music is more complex than what it really is.

Quote:
You just proved I did know your definition of 'political' I never said he was a better rapper than Nas or Rakim. I said he is more consistent. Do you know what 'consistent' means? If you did, you'd recognize he is

Yes but you obviously dont

and you did argue that he was better as well as consistent.

All his albums are the same crap just with different beats.

Nas and Rakim actually tackled complex issues and collaborated with different artists etc There word play is also more mature and creative unlike Jay Zs elementary rhymes.They have continued to push themselves artistically while Jay Z relies on what makes money.

Quote:
But we've already proved Jay'z debut was stronger than Pac's best album. Odd that.
How did you prove this?

The links that you gave showed the opposite of the point you were trying to make. O the irony...2pac actually sold more than him and his album debut at number one. Jay Zs album debut at number three and didnt even reach a million by the end of the year it was released and I am still lost with what explanations you gave besides it being more critically acclaim (which doesnt mean anything)

Quote:
I am not. I said he is more influential than BIG and Pac.
Which you are entitled to think but you have not given any evidence or support as to why you think he is. Arguing that he is more commercially has nothing to do with the QUALITY of his music or TALENT and constantly bringing about RN is not going to cut it because Nas was doing the same thing in 94 before Jay Z even got signed and was doing it better.

Quote:
The only point I agree with you on, and the only accurate thing you've said is that BIG and Pac are lyrically better than Jay. I have never argued that. That doesn't make them a better package. Jeff Buckley was a better lyricist than John Lennon, does that make him better? Or more influential?
Contradiction.

You have belittle their music this entire time. In a post above you even insisted 2pacs music was just " lyrics about the ghetto"

Quote:
Do you read anything you write? I've proved many many times how ill-informed and hypocritical your points are.
First off
You dont even read anything YOU write lol as well as what I have written. You also dont listen to any of the music you are so informed about.

Quote:
No, Lil Wayne and Rick Ross do, but you suggested every rapper did. I gave you a bunch of names who are clearly not influenced in my last post. Besides Rick Ross and Lil Wayne are seen by many as laughing stocks.
The fact that they are seen as laughing stocks isnt the point. The point is they make gangsta rap, contrived or not. You are insisting that te subgenre isnt prevalent anymore when it actually is
I addressed this already and you did not give a bunch of names or notable rappers

Quote:
And with that, I depart. Oh by the way, you also intelligently misspelt 'argument' I have given you all the reasons your statements are misguided and talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. You have got yourself into a little frenzy and have never been able to disprove what I originally said. Good bye.
Please depart. You have not given any objective and open minded explanations for your opinions. You are beyond ignorant in your assumptions on what you think "hip hop" is. What makes this entire conversation funny is that you want to debate with me what hip hop is and you CLEARLY dont even know what it means lol The irony is most of what you THINK is hip hop really isnt because rap and hip hop are two different things. Degrading the genre to just "ghetto" or "shooting guns" is ignorant.

You have not supported why you think Jay Z is the best rapper and seem very close minded to different opinions and constructive criticism Jay Z gets. I have not bashed him or flamed him. I have gave constructive points and you clearly are not mature enough to engage in a respectful debate with someoen who disagrees with you. Adios
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote