Music Banter - View Single Post - A Bundle of Recent Releases For Forum Member Discussion
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeATLBraves24 View Post
If it was an attempt to remain relevant I think the band would have played live shows, or at least promoted the album through interviews and TV appearances. They haven't done either for Comedown Machine. Musically, The Strokes have been headed in the '80s/synthesizer direction since Angles (or even Julian's solo album if you want to count that).

As far as the album itself, I like it quite a bit. That being said, it doesn't have a single killer Strokes track like Last Nite or Under Cover of Darkness; each song is only good or very good in my opinion. It is a very consistent record, but Julian sounds disinterested on several of the tracks, which lessens the quality for me.
You're right...many of the songs on Comedown Machine are well crafted but the songs lack the visceral power of the thick, angular guitar riffs between Albert Hammonds and Nick Valensi.

I sympathize with Julian and other rock singers. It's hard for a singer to maintain the same level of passion on the 14th take of a song as he had six hours ago on the first take.

Sinatra refused to do more than 2 takes of any vocal track in a recording session but he came to the studio with the lyrics well memorized and the vocal arrangement for each song ready to record. It's a little different for rock bands who are often writing and arranging a song in the studio and doing constant re-takes until the song evolves into the final take that's a keeper.