Music Banter - View Single Post - What do people think of Vivaldi?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #50 (permalink)
anathematized_one
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
I thought that's what you had been implying, with all the "technical wankery" stuff. Better than no expression at all, though.
No... that's why I said more than once that complexity or technicality is not bad or the problem and that, as in my first post, I do like Vivaldi but I feel that people treat him like Mozart and many others and that "Four Seasons" was trite (lacking power to evoke interest through overuse or repetition; hackneyed; dull; lacking in freshness or effectiveness because of constant use or excessive repetition) and kitschy (effusively or insincerely emotional; tawdry, vulgarized, or pretentious art, literature, etc., usually with popular or sentimental appeal; something of tawdry design, appearance, or content created to appeal to popular or undiscriminating taste) and that he had far better works yet that's the only one people typically know.

When I say technical wankery, I mean as differentiated from other technicality. Basically a mindless showing of skill as opposed to technical music that expresses something real.