Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #12248 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
Bingo, pretty much.

There are people who have this attitude with more noticeable disabilities, but I personally think it's fair to say that most you would encounter would be quicker to judge someone with a less obvious disability.

I used to work in state benefits, not strictly disability benefit, but a lot of the claimants I would encounter also claimed that and the two kind of overlap in a lot of cases. I also currently attend a state funded college that provides free vocational courses of education, primarily to the disabled. Those who meet the criteria range from those with epilepsy, mental health issues and depression through to retired war veterans that have been injured, either emotionally or physically while in service.

Thats a vast range of people, all with dramatically different conditions and ailments, and they all have stories to tell. The one thing they all seem to have in common is discrimination from ignorant people, and most of these stories involve the phrase "Well, you dont look disabled.
I have Endometriosis and lived in excruciating pain up until this year (due to IUD) and people seem to think I'm making the pain up because you can't see it.