Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #23933 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Yesterday I got a call from an old band member (Koncrete Pillo drummer) who asked me if I wanted to go on tour, opening up for Convoy Insanity. This is life changing for me. I'd have to quit my job, I'd be on the road for most of the rest of the year and into 2014 (culminating to the point of playing Daytona Beach during spring break), and there would be quite a bit of temptation that would kill my relationship with my GF of 15 years. My daughter is in college and has a job, and she's pretty much self sufficient, so no worries there. My real concern is what will this do to my future. It's quite a risk, and I'm quite comfortable with where I'm at in life. I've got a good job, and I don't have any stress other than knocking out structural drawings.

Some backstory:
Koncrete Pillo (the band I was in) used to open up for Lynt some years ago, which the singer from Convoy Insanity was in at the time, and we all became good friends. Brian (singer for Convoy/Lynt) used to sit in with us during band practice, and would even take over the mic at times. He's very talented. Since then he's achieved some semi-stardom with his new band (Convoy), and even opened up for some major acts (i.e. Pat Travers band), and has been building steam ever since.

This would be my chance to have a go at doing what I'm most passionate about. It's a slippery slope though, and I really don't want to jeopardise what I have worked my whole life to accomplish (my career as a structural designer).

Any thoughts on which direction I should take?