Music Banter - View Single Post - Is music streaming "enough"?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

I'm perfectly happy to have all of my music in the MP3 format. I have my computer hooked up to my home stereo system and it's much easier to find a song or artist you're looking for using a home computer music player, rather than trawling through your collection of cds and vinyl albums to find that one certain song you want to listen to. I still have a roomful of thousands of cds and vinyl albums which I eventually will sell off when I find time to list them on Half.com.

With digital files can also place your entire digital music collection on a playlist and shuffle the content around to enhance your listening experience. With a cd player your limited playing a certain number of albums depending on the size of your cd player disc carousel. Many of the newer products are multi-function players that play both cds and MP3 files. But to use the MP3 function you still have to purchase the MP3 files at a music service and own a portable MP3 player in order to play digital music on a multi-function player.

7 or 8 years ago, I made a big mistake which resulted in the loss of my entire digital music collection when my computer crashed. It took me almost three years and thousands of dollars to restore all of the music I lost from the computer crash. I now subscribe to music services that allow you to redownload any MP3 file you've purchased from their service because I ended up having to repurchase many of the MP3 files I lost when my computer crashed.

The other big pain in the ass task that comes with maintaining a large library of MP3 music is transferring the all those music files to a new computer processor from your old computer processor whenever you purchase a new CPU. It took me a couple of months of working at least an hour a day to completely transfer all the digital music files from my old CPU to the new one I purchased last January.

I have no use for streaming music because of all of the use limitations imposed on streaming music. With streaming music, you can't burn home made cds or synch streaming music to a portable listening device. And when you eventually stop subscribing to a streaming music service, you automatically lose access to all of the streaming music service once provided you with.