Music Banter - View Single Post - Soldiers' families suing the UK government? Wow!
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah that's what I thought. I mean, surely this is literally "something you sign up for"? Nobody ever said "Join the army and fight in a foreign land but you won't be hurt?" I'm all for helping the families but it just seems like stretching it a little. I really don't know, but I imagine as I say once that genie is out of the bottle...
Wars have historically been won or lost due to the ability of its soldiers and generals, but modern warfare has a far greater emphasis on military equipment than probably ever before, so today you can literally out blast your opponent depending on the circumstances of the terrain etc and generally win.

So if we now have soldiers' families wanting to sue the military because of faulty equipment where does it end. I mean if somebody's tank blows up in a warzone who's to blame, who's to blame if somebody's parachute doesn't open, who's to blame if somebody's vehicle goes over a mine and even more importantly those that die from friendly fire?

When you therefore start adding "Duty of Care" into all this, the whole thing becomes a farce and makes you realize that these troops should've stayed at home in the first place.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 06-19-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote