Music Banter - View Single Post - Help me with my Britpop timeline
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkofthechildren View Post
See most of those barely have a sound that resembles Brit pop. Galaxie 500 do.
That's absurd. Galaxie 500 should not be on a list of Britpop bands because they were a New York based band. BTW, Galaxie 500 doesn't sound like a Britpop band, anymore than Oasis sounds like a country and western band.

Your original list is a pretty good compilation of the most notable Britpop bands of the late 80s/90s. The dilemma is how many bands to you include under the Britpop definition? Do you want to include every 2nd and 3rd tier British band, for the sake of having an all inclusive list of Britpop bands?

Belle and Sebastian is from Glasgow Scotland and has more a folk sound, so is it inappropriate to include them on a Britpop list? Stereolab would also be on my list but a couple of Stereolab's members are French, not British.

The one band that probably should be on the list is Saint Etienne, the London based band that was influential in the early Nineties and is still recording excellent music.