Music Banter - View Single Post - Punk Rock is Bullsh*t (article/essay)
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #50 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
A lot of people don't always realize that punk was much more than just a sound and its image was also vital, and if you combine these two aspects together it equals London 1976. The only rival that London has is New York 1976 for the creation of punk.
Nah. You had the Ramones sure, but other than that it was just an art rock scene. There may have been bands that had some punk rock sensibilities, but I think that's more down to there being a sort of underground, art rock/alternative rock/whatever-you-want-to-call-it zeitgeist that existed in many places all over the world, from New York to Britain to Cleveland to Australia and god knows where. True, the London and the New York scenes had some links, but I think that was just because they both had dedicated fanzines that got the word out.

I mean, you wouldn't call Patti Smith or Television or Blondie punk rock would you? And anyone who calls the Heartbreakers or the Voidoids punk is fooling themselves. The Heartbreakers just sounded like the New York Dolls Mk II and the Voidoids were just pub rock.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote