Music Banter - View Single Post - Recent Metal Purchases
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #238 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfanatic View Post
I don't believe I've ever heard their music. I'm thinking the only related death metal that I don't own (Cannibal Corpse being one that I do own) that I listened to on Youtube was Obituary's 1st, but listening to Death I think I can say I like Death better...so far.
I'm not saying one is better than the other, but you have to listen to Obituary's second album, Cause of Death before you go making any rash decisions.

Quote:
I don't know, I do love Venom! I'll have to get back to you on this...
I don't know, Celtic Frost's first two releases, Morbid Tales and Emperor's Return just sound like a classed up version of Hellhammer, which is the band that Celtic Frost originally evolved from, and classing up Hellhammer is like putting lipstick on a crack whore. So, if you like early Celtic Frost, then listen to Hellhammer, because they are superior. More ugly, more noisy, more gloriously ****ty. And Venom is definitely superior to Celtic Frost's first two as well, though I don't know about Hellhammer. They're pretty fantastic.

After that, it becomes harder to compare Celtic Frost and Venom. Venom were a much more two-dimensional-but-fun band, whereas Celtic Frost were a much more experimental band. Celtic Frost's third release, To Mega Therion, is seen by some as a masterpiece, but it's dated sound has always detracted from the dark, crushing atmosphere that they were going for, though the songwriting itself is definitely strong. But their next album, Into the Pandemonium is a stone cold classic, and pretty much created the idea of "avant-garde metal".

Oh yeah, and here's some Hallhammer for you...

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote