Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds From the Outernational Hi-Fi
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
A lot of interesting material here, Gavin B, and now I quite understand why you weren´t too sure where to put this thread!

I really like African Head Charge, so it´s interesting to see them put into the context of a movement or style. You chose a great track - do you know their Drums of Defiance album by any chance ?

I also enjoyed the Public Image and Jah Wobble material - first time I´ve heard anything by either artist, so I need to do a little investigating...

I look forward to seeing some more examples, to get clearer in my head what would make a song Outernational. I wonder, for instance, if these guys called Vox would count:
Despite appearances to the contrary, they are a more-or-less German group who only use light electronic touches, with no dub or sampling going on at all. This track is particularly gentle and serves as a lead-in to an album of mediaeval Spanish material called From Spain To Spain :-

Outernational is not a genre, per se, but a broad definitional term that describes a wildly diverse selection of music. It's meant to be an inclusive term that encompasses jazz artists, pop music bands, deejays and electronic groups who experiment with world music forms. Ry Cooder's experiments with Afro Cuban music, border wave, Afrobeat music and mambo comes to mind.

There's no reason why an electronic group like Vox shouldn't be within the outernational realm since they play a wide range of world music forms. Jazz musicians like Stan Getz, Miles Davis, Pharaoh Sanders and Herbie Mann also experimented with world music and it's really jazz musicians who first promoted an awareness of world music in the United States.

I'm familiar with most of African Head Charge's studio albums. I know that Drums of Defiance appears on a 2006 collection of world music that Adrian Sherwood produced called Spirits of Africa. I've never heard the album but it has an awesome roster of outernational style artists like Nitin Sawhney, Terracotta, Lemongrass and Wax Poetic. A lot of these albums fall out of issue and I can't find it anywhere.

Last edited by Gavin B.; 07-19-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote