Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 03:52 AM   #13372 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoskeletal View Post

Well, I'm going to have to say this. This was without a doubt the definitive visual experience for me. When Avatar came out I said that it can't get any better visually than this but Guillermo Del Toro did it. It is the pinnacle of special effects achievement. There is no way this film shouldn't make the amount of money Avatar did because its a better film on all accounts. These are bold statements I know but it really is a wonder to behold. Now there are some negatives. The acting was patchy. Idris Elba and Charlie Day were great but suffered through bad dialogue that infested the film. This can be pushed aside though because this is a full blown epic of a sci-fi film. Sci-fi has to be corny at times. It HAS to be. The subject matter at hand basically calls for it. I mean, giant robots battling gigantic aliens monsters? I'm sorry but if Joss Whedon wrote the dialogue it would have come off to hokey. Cheese was needed and I give it a pass. The middle of the film also did lack a bit. But my god the beginning and last 3rd of this film are just some of the most intense and wonderful minutes I've ever seen. It's a wonder. Bravo.

Oh and go see this in a real IMAX theater if you have one near you. It's an eight dollar extra charge for one of the most intense 130 minutes of your life.

4.5/5
Thanks Exo, think we're of a similar opinion regarding cheese, sci fi and dialogue. Definitely looking forward to Pacific Rim now!