What's The Latest Film You Have Seen? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Media
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #13371 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits
 
Exo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,359
Default



Well, I'm going to have to say this. This was without a doubt the definitive visual experience for me. When Avatar came out I said that it can't get any better visually than this but Guillermo Del Toro did it. It is the pinnacle of special effects achievement. There is no way this film shouldn't make the amount of money Avatar did because its a better film on all accounts. These are bold statements I know but it really is a wonder to behold. Now there are some negatives. The acting was patchy. Idris Elba and Charlie Day were great but suffered through bad dialogue that infested the film. This can be pushed aside though because this is a full blown epic of a sci-fi film. Sci-fi has to be corny at times. It HAS to be. The subject matter at hand basically calls for it. I mean, giant robots battling gigantic aliens monsters? I'm sorry but if Joss Whedon wrote the dialogue it would have come off to hokey. Cheese was needed and I give it a pass. The middle of the film also did lack a bit. But my god the beginning and last 3rd of this film are just some of the most intense and wonderful minutes I've ever seen. It's a wonder. Bravo.

Oh and go see this in a real IMAX theater if you have one near you. It's an eight dollar extra charge for one of the most intense 130 minutes of your life.

4.5/5
__________________
LastFM

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #13372 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
Guybrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 6,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoskeletal View Post


Well, I'm going to have to say this. This was without a doubt the definitive visual experience for me. When Avatar came out I said that it can't get any better visually than this but Guillermo Del Toro did it. It is the pinnacle of special effects achievement. There is no way this film shouldn't make the amount of money Avatar did because its a better film on all accounts. These are bold statements I know but it really is a wonder to behold. Now there are some negatives. The acting was patchy. Idris Elba and Charlie Day were great but suffered through bad dialogue that infested the film. This can be pushed aside though because this is a full blown epic of a sci-fi film. Sci-fi has to be corny at times. It HAS to be. The subject matter at hand basically calls for it. I mean, giant robots battling gigantic aliens monsters? I'm sorry but if Joss Whedon wrote the dialogue it would have come off to hokey. Cheese was needed and I give it a pass. The middle of the film also did lack a bit. But my god the beginning and last 3rd of this film are just some of the most intense and wonderful minutes I've ever seen. It's a wonder. Bravo.

Oh and go see this in a real IMAX theater if you have one near you. It's an eight dollar extra charge for one of the most intense 130 minutes of your life.

4.5/5
Thanks Exo, think we're of a similar opinion regarding cheese, sci fi and dialogue. Definitely looking forward to Pacific Rim now!
__________________
Something Completely Different
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #13373 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoskeletal View Post


Well, I'm going to have to say this. This was without a doubt the definitive visual experience for me. When Avatar came out I said that it can't get any better visually than this but Guillermo Del Toro did it. It is the pinnacle of special effects achievement. There is no way this film shouldn't make the amount of money Avatar did because its a better film on all accounts. These are bold statements I know but it really is a wonder to behold. Now there are some negatives. The acting was patchy. Idris Elba and Charlie Day were great but suffered through bad dialogue that infested the film. This can be pushed aside though because this is a full blown epic of a sci-fi film. Sci-fi has to be corny at times. It HAS to be. The subject matter at hand basically calls for it. I mean, giant robots battling gigantic aliens monsters? I'm sorry but if Joss Whedon wrote the dialogue it would have come off to hokey. Cheese was needed and I give it a pass. The middle of the film also did lack a bit. But my god the beginning and last 3rd of this film are just some of the most intense and wonderful minutes I've ever seen. It's a wonder. Bravo.

Oh and go see this in a real IMAX theater if you have one near you. It's an eight dollar extra charge for one of the most intense 130 minutes of your life.

4.5/5
I'm definitely with you on the cheese, but one aspect of the storyline legitimately bothered me, not so much that it detracted from the insane awesomeness, but after the movie was over I noticed it more...

Spoiler for Spoiler:
The whole thing with Mako. When they did the first sync test with her (I don't remember what they called it, but it was a total Evangelion thing, so it's a sync test) she went ape **** and almost destroyed the base, but the second time it wasn't even an issue and everything was peaches and cream from then on with no real resolution of that plot line. It sort of killed the character aspect of the two main protagonists for the last third of the movie.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #13374 (permalink)
Do good.
 
Blarobbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 2,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoskeletal View Post


Well, I'm going to have to say this. This was without a doubt the definitive visual experience for me. When Avatar came out I said that it can't get any better visually than this but Guillermo Del Toro did it. It is the pinnacle of special effects achievement. There is no way this film shouldn't make the amount of money Avatar did because its a better film on all accounts. These are bold statements I know but it really is a wonder to behold. Now there are some negatives. The acting was patchy. Idris Elba and Charlie Day were great but suffered through bad dialogue that infested the film. This can be pushed aside though because this is a full blown epic of a sci-fi film. Sci-fi has to be corny at times. It HAS to be. The subject matter at hand basically calls for it. I mean, giant robots battling gigantic aliens monsters? I'm sorry but if Joss Whedon wrote the dialogue it would have come off to hokey. Cheese was needed and I give it a pass. The middle of the film also did lack a bit. But my god the beginning and last 3rd of this film are just some of the most intense and wonderful minutes I've ever seen. It's a wonder. Bravo.

Oh and go see this in a real IMAX theater if you have one near you. It's an eight dollar extra charge for one of the most intense 130 minutes of your life.

4.5/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm definitely with you on the cheese, but one aspect of the storyline legitimately bothered me, not so much that it detracted from the insane awesomeness, but after the movie was over I noticed it more...

Spoiler for Spoiler:
The whole thing with Mako. When they did the first sync test with her (I don't remember what they called it, but it was a total Evangelion thing, so it's a sync test) she went ape **** and almost destroyed the base, but the second time it wasn't even an issue and everything was peaches and cream from then on with no real resolution of that plot line. It sort of killed the character aspect of the two main protagonists for the last third of the movie.
I agree with both of these posts. I just saw it yesterday, and despite the crap dialogue and REALLY cheesy moments ("I'm retired Marshall!") I really did love it. The fights were incredible, and the entire storyline reminded me of Godzilla made for 21st century audiences. So yeah, good stuff, as long as you're not expecting Citizen Kane.
__________________
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Blarobbarg

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #13375 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,455
Default

yeah, I think I'm going to head down to the city and see if I can catch it in IMAX. I'd love to see it again.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #13376 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Thom Yorke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,848
Default

Really looking forward to Pacific Rim. I was considering watching it online but that would probably defeat the purpose of it. It looks like one of those movies that knows exactly what it is, so I don't think I'll be let down. I'm not going in expecting anything other than monsters vs. robots and amazing special effects.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #13377 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits
 
Exo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke View Post
Really looking forward to Pacific Rim. I was considering watching it online but that would probably defeat the purpose of it. It looks like one of those movies that knows exactly what it is, so I don't think I'll be let down. I'm not going in expecting anything other than monsters vs. robots and amazing special effects.
You will love it then.
__________________
LastFM

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #13378 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,861
Default



Only God Forgives

Let me start off by saying I'm a huge Winding Refn fan, from Drive to Bronson, Valhalla Rising and Fear X. I have yet to see the Pusher trilogy, but I'm sure I'd enjoy that too. Only God Forgives fits perfectly into Winding Refn's filmography. I wouldn't go so far to say it's his best film, but even Refn's least best film is a near stroke of genius in stylish excess. If anyone has followed up with this film at all, you'd know it was crucially divided at the Cannes film festival. One half of the theater was applauding it, while the other half were screaming hatred boos. This film is based on visual aesthetic that keeps the plot going, and for anyone who hates this movie and thinks it's completely plotless, you can shove it. Winding Refn clearly knows how to craft a great plot (Bronson, Drive) but he simply condenses the plot in this film and makes it simple and easy to follow. His intentions were not to create a movie with a thrilling and loopy plot, he clearly just wanted this movie to be shown in images and neon lighting and prove he can do it. Well, he has done it, and Only God Forgives is one of the best films I've had the pleasure in viewing this whole year. Gosling plays his most restrained here, only muttering words when he's spoken too. It's a brooding performance that plays on his facial features so well. This films also probably the most brutal film I've seen this year. It's so abrasive and in your face, it's hard not to squirm, yet I found it very difficult to look away. Only God Forgives is beautiful, ambient and completely as Lynchian as you can get, and I loved every minute of it. Fuck the haters.

4.5/5
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #13379 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits
 
Exo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Groove View Post
to look away. Only God Forgives is beautiful, ambient and completely as Lynchian as you can get, and I loved every minute of it. Fuck the haters.
I'll be the judge of that kind sir. I'll be seeing it soon. The reviews are not very good but who the f*ck cares.
__________________
LastFM

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:14 AM   #13380 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoskeletal View Post
I'll be the judge of that kind sir. I'll be seeing it soon. The reviews are not very good but who the f*ck cares.
I've noticed people who dislike it really fucking hate it, and people who like it really love it. I really loved it, I just watched it again. It's more Valhalla Rising than it is Drive.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.