Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds From the Outernational Hi-Fi
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Elizabeth Butterfly: The Parisian Club Scene Meets the Outernational Sound

French Deejay Elizabeth Butterfly

In the summer 2002 I had my first encounter with the outernational club scene in Paris. I went to a rave style event that featured two deejays: Dimitri from Paris and Elizabeth Butterfly. Dimitri was pretty much a straight-up house deejay but Madame Butterfly was playing a wide range of music that included samba, bossa nova, 60's French pop, cool jazz and even some punk thrown in for good measure.

I purchased her album of remixes titled Easy Paris and grew to love her eclectic musical taste. Saravah Samba was a frenzied remix of a bossa nova by Pierre Barouh with zany tape loops and pulsating drumbeats:

Another remix, Aux Cyclades Electonique was a jazzy electronic song by French soundtrack artist Bertrand Bergalat.

Easy Paris is far and away my favorite outernational album. The sad thing is I've never seen Easy Paris for sale anywhere in the United States and I have no idea of what happened to Elizabeth Butterfly following my 2002 trip to Paris. She obviously did not go onto international fame as a deejay or producer, and I know of no other albums by her...But we still have Paris in the summer of 2002.

Last edited by Gavin B.; 07-20-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote