Music Banter - View Single Post - Off Colour Jokes and Why You're a Plebe for Using them
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #74 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

I think that, as with everything, every use is different and depends on context, material, audience, etc. While I'm contextually-accepting of making rapists themselves the butt of a joke, or using the word "rape" in a joke where it is not the basis of the joke itself, I do believe that it's not ever comical to make victims the butt of the joke, and I acknowledge that these people have a hard enough time being taken seriously in the face of the real crime without the crime itself being made a comedic event.

I do try to be open-minded to the laughter-as-healing/not-making-words-taboo/context-is-everything/freedom-of-expression approach, but I would be lying if I said it didn't make me really uncomfortable to see people laughing at a horrific act, or the victims of the act that they are considerably less likely to ever experience/statistically more likely to perpetrate than I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Rape jokes are part of his normal material though. I have no idea why she was even at his show in the first place. He says a lot of shock type stuff like that anyways.
That's outside our ability to discuss since there's no information on it. All we can talk about is what we know happened, and there is nothing available to persuade me that he handled it any better than shamefully.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote