Music Banter - View Single Post - Great Debate: Are eSports sports?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #277 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED HALE SR. View Post
I would side with E-sports being a sport then at that point. I've kind of done a 180 on this. I've listened to both sides and decided why shouldn't it be a sport. Afterall the Kinect and Move both require as much movement as curling.
Can I just say thanks for the bolded part? Realistically I would have been perfectly happy had you still come down on the other side of the debate - though I may have tried to convince you yet.

But I think the most telling part of this is that you've managed to come at this with a mind to consider the other viewpoint, and I think that's been lacking from a lot of the more dismissive or aggressively negative responses to the thread.

I'm perfectly happy to accept the alternate viewpoint here, I'd just like that viewpoint to be presented with a logical thread that answers or attempts to answer the "why" of why whatever people believes defines sport, does so. I think I've tried to remain consistent to that approach so far and I'd like to see the same sort of arguments made, in the absence of tradition but more based on rationale and logic, as to other peoples choice of defining factor, for what a sport is and how defining sport should work on a base level.

Put simply, saying that physicality should define sport is OK and I'm not going to jump down anyone's throat or insult them for thinking so - its just that for me to accept that as a truth, isn't self-evident, and isn't based on simply that it has been so traditionally - I would require a logical basis for not only why this DOES in someones opinion define sport, but why it SHOULD - bearing in mind whether we should seperate out certain things as "sideline" issues like exercise or the social health of the young, which are are not to my mind the end goal of sport - those are the end goals of exercise or socialization, surely?

Having said that I won't jump down peoples throats or insult them for that however, I do find my patience being tested when people's arguments are put forward based on a conviction that eSports - whether defined as proper sport or not - are in some way worthless, or when people seem more concerned with attacking my interests or people who share my interests, rather than trying to debunk or counter my argument. I don't believe we are, or should be, discussing the worth of a sport, only whether it actually is, or is not one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!