Music Banter - View Single Post - Great Debate: Are eSports sports?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 02:22 AM   #278 (permalink)
Newkie
Boozy Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
I would say they can definitely be thought of as such. There is perhaps room for a delineation between "sportsmen" (Workplace teams, skilled amateurs, those seeking competition as an extension of their recreational game) "professional sportsmen" (Those playing for some or all of their living wage, or for a prizepool) and "elite sportsmen" (Those aiming to be champions in their own right) in that group though. The key delineation is that if they're taking the time to play in a league, minor or otherwise, that's a sign of a partial or complete change in attitude from "dicking around to have fun" and "Playing to win". It may not be a complete or even significant switch from one to the other, but there's clearly an element there that the casual game doesn't have.
All true but my point was it gets to murky territory. People play on better pitches with mates than they often do in the above "professional" instances. The level of referring/attention to the rules/no obvious bias can also be compared.

I agree in the splitting up of the categories, but in the end it is still all the same sport. Those at the bottom might get sponsors but they certainly won't earn a wage. The desire to win may not be any more than that of a few mates kicking a ball around because that kind of thing is often situational, I'm sure many of the bottom league teams see it as a social gathering-particularly as they will go out and drink after matches, which the "professionals" of course wouldn't. I'm not even sure where to draw the line here, because the situations are so comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Having said that I won't jump down peoples throats or insult them for that however, I do find my patience being tested when people's arguments are put forward based on a conviction that eSports - whether defined as proper sport or not - are in some way worthless, or when people seem more concerned with attacking my interests or people who share my interests, rather than trying to debunk or counter my argument. I don't believe we are, or should be, discussing the worth of a sport, only whether it actually is, or is not one.
Yeah, I definitely don't agree with that. Tbh I think I would get more enjoyment out of playing an e sport ala starcraft than I would playing plenty of things considered sports and at the end of the day, life is about trying to get the most enjoyment out of your time here. I don't really class things like pool/snooker/darts etc as sports but then if it comes to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
This first definition Merriam-Webster lists for sport is:

1 a : a source of diversion : recreation

Just sayin'.
why shouldn't they? And why shouldn't Esports? I think my issue isn't in accepting that Esports are sports, but where to draw the line if it is a sport. If that makes sense?I think others earlier on have felt similarly. I mean if the above definition is true, I tend to think making a cup of tea in the office is both a source of diversion-from work-and it allows recreation-ideally talking to someone I'm not sat in the same room with all the time.