Music Banter - View Single Post - Marte Deborah Dalelv Rape Incident
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 01:08 AM   #149 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Norwegian minister of foreign affairs, Espen Barth Eide, said in an interview that Dubais foreign minister, after a talk with Dubais ruler, admitted to there being some challenges to be worked out with their justice system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
The behavior being exhibited here is racist. Why is it racist? Because it's ethnocentric.
If you think criticizing culture from the point of view of another culture is racist, again, you need to learn what racism is. It is not the same as ethnocentrism. To call the thread ethnocentric is more valid than calling it racist, but I still disagree. I'm inviting all here to partake in this discussion without regard to what culture members here may represent. Furthermore, I think many in Dubais would agree with the criticism here, muslim or otherwise. From the way you argue, you would think the ideal of gender equality does not exist there, but it does. I also think the idea that one should not be punished for other peoples crimes against you is a concept in Dubais culture and factored into her speedy release. Hence, it's not like we're judging them based on principles which don't exist in Dubais culture.

Maybe you should take a look at this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_i..._Arab_Emirates

I find it ironic, and even a little tasteless, how you and Hermione (aka Sansa Stark now) keep referring to groups. You write muslims for example or comment on how they are mostly not white. All this time, you are so caught up in groups based on culture, some perceived race or something else. Have you ever considered that the word "muslim" may not really be a good description of the population of Dubais? It suggests every muslim subscribes to the exact same ideas and also ignores the fact that Dubais society is made up of different cultures, religions, ethnicities and values, just like the US is. For example, thousands of Norwegians live and work in Dubais.

So you keep mentally organizing people into groups, but accuse me of being racist. Here's a challenge: read through the two first posts of this thread and quote to me where you think I am being racist. See if you can find me reference to the groups that you seem to base so much of your thinking around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa Stark View Post
I mean especially to treat Muslims as if they're all backwards witless cretins is so laughably ignorant of history that it makes me want to punch myself in the face w/ secondhand embarrassment.
Lets remember Christian nations are actually the least civilised in a lot of ways.
You should read my reply to HHBH above.

By the way, I care about gender equality also on my home turf so I obviously don't feel like your hypocrite accusation applies. Your notion that muslims are mostly not white and therefore it is racist to criticize muslims is simply wrong. Bottom line is that being a muslim is not a biological privilege or property of any particular race. There are muslims belonging to ethnicities with origin in every continent except the antarctic, hence the argument can't be racist.

Do you get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
It's still gender inequality, the cultural difference simply means that they don't necessarily see a problem with gender inequality. This seems like an argument in semantics. It's like saying that America wasn't racist until it started proclaiming to value racial equality.
I agree.

Last edited by Guybrush; 08-02-2013 at 01:52 AM.