Music Banter - View Single Post - Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #44 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
I was with you up until you mentioned these two things. It's almost like you didn't even listen to the 20/20 Experience. If this is the same music that he's been making since Justified then people that were fans of Justified would be fans of this album and that's not the case at all whatsoever. Fans of Justified and LS/FS can't deal with the maturity that is on display with this album. Yes, I do agree that live instruments would have sounded somewhat better but get over it. This is the times that we are currently living in and the computer substitutes work just as good in the hands of the right person.
I actually listened to the entire album and my favorite song on the album is Pusher Lover Girl.

I actually have heard the opposite. I have spoken to some hard core JT fans that say its a descent album but it sounds like his previous albums. You cant sit here and honestly argue that Mirrors does not sound like Cry Me a River part II. Timbaland used the same generic beat. Also, if your going to have songs longer than 4 minutes than it better be experimental because there is no point in having unnessary added minutes if there is nothing inspiring going on.

The media was hyping the album WAY to much. Its a descent album but its not innovative or original. Also, alot of the songs do sound like Justified cuts and LS/FS such as Mirrors, Strawberry Bubblegum, Suit and Tie etc. I think it is a descent album and I applaud JT for trying to be some what artistic unlike peers.

However

, its nothing groundbreaking and he is simply recycling alot of MJs, Stevie, Prince Marvin Gaye late 70s and early 80s output. (Which is baffling that the above poster would imply JT is better than them) ONCE, again he has been doing this since Justified. People say JT is creative but he is very one dimensional in my opinion because he is still stuck in this particular era. I liked to see him do some funky early 70s maybe or implement some rock but he is to caught up in trying to be like his influences instead of striving to be his own artist.

He is stuck into copying those artists sound (playing safe) in that particular era I mentioned above which is okay and all but I give the cross eye to those who think this album is creative.

Thats not a bad thing but its annoying when the media hypes it like its the greatest thing ever when there are other R&B singers that make much more lyrically complex songs with real instruments.

There are actually alot of artists now that use real instruments and even play instruments. You should check out my D Angelo thread in the soul/funk forum. He plays all his instruments and writes all his songs. He fuses alot of genres together in his music and his albums dont sound the same.

There are artists today that DO use real instruments in the R&B world that dont get credit. It seems today it is easier for a white male to be successful in the R&B world than black male singers which is unfornate because some of those black singers make far better R&B like Anthony Hamilton, Maxwell, D Angelo and are far stronger vocalist, artist etc.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote