Music Banter - View Single Post - Michael Jackson
Thread: Michael Jackson
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #1318 (permalink)
BlueGreenMood
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
Michael Jackson is my favorite artist of all time. I love this man so much. He is my musical hero and he was such a sweet person. I love his entire catalogue. I even love his catalogue with his brothers especially "The Jacksons" material where MJ wrote alot of their hits. He was one of the first artists I started listening to when I was little along with Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and Bob Marley.

I enjoy all of Michael's music but I probably would go with his 90s material as well because its more mysterious, dark, personal, raw and artistic. The albums with Quincy are artistic as well but with Michael's 90s album, he really showcased his talent as an "artist" beyond a entertainer standpoint. He showcased his skills as well on the Q albums but with his 90s albums he was in full control over the lyrics and production. He took more artistic control and was heavily involved with producing, arranging and writing his own music. Its a shame that his later works don't get as much credit as his material with Quincy. I think albums like Dangerous and HIStory have a edge over albums like Thriller and BAD.

Blood On The Dance Floor is another underrated album by him. He was very vulnerable and personal on songs like Morphine and Is It Scary.

Most pop stars today wouldn't dare to take such a risk in talking about their addiction, insecurities or their public image, physical image and eccentricities.

Dangerous is another album that is very underrated from a production and lyrical standpoint. Michael put his foot in songs like In The Closet and Cant Let Her Get Away in which he did all the musical sounds with his own mouth!! lol

Michael is the greatest entertainer ever but I think he is very underrated as an artist and songwriter.
You love MJ and Janelle?! Nice! Didn't mention it in the JM thread, but she's my #2 to MJ.

Totally agree with your entire post.

To me Destiny is kind of the beginning of MJ's adult career with songs like Bless His Soul, That's What You Get For Being Polite, and Things I Do For You- I'd say Shake Your Body to the Ground was a show at his hitmaking abilities, but the latter are more what I see in MJ as an emotive songwriter. Triumph is also an interlude between OTW and Thriller with Can You Feel It being the first killer track MJ wrote. WDAN and DSTYGE were great, but there was more oomph with MJ's music starting in the 80s- I think it was the darker sound that was ultimately so him that was showed off in Triumph, hinted a lot in Thriller, diluted in Bad, but still there, and fully realized in Dangerous and continued throughout the 90s. So happy to meet an MJ fan who is appreciative of Morphine and Is It Scary. Stranger In Moscow and Morphine are tied as my favorite MJ songs.

I felt like HIStory and Blood On the Dance Floor was MJ just blurting all his feelings out, while still leaving some mystery of course, but then when it came to Invincible he kind of downgraded himself stylistically although there are still some classic songs on that album. What's your opinion on Invincible?

MJ's songwriting is another thing as his beatboxing really shows how much he was involved and how the music was in his head! I love the beatbox Beat It demo that was released on the This Is It CD. Have you seen all the other snippets of MJ beatboxing on YouTube, it rocks!
BlueGreenMood is offline   Reply With Quote