Music Banter - View Single Post - Criticizing Music Taste
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #101 (permalink)
RL Clown
Music Addict

It is okay to judge the musical tastes of others, but you must choose your words carefully. Scolding and rebuking are wrong actions. Calling someone a "moron" is not very productive either.

You probably already know this, but I want to clarify a point... Music is not 100% subjective. Musicians have to follow a few rules (i.e.: lyrical structure, the flow and the harmony of the melody, etc.) To a degree, music is scientific and technical. Some musicians follow the rules better than others. Some musicians produce songs very quickly; they don't care about quality. Some musicians are very patient; they dedicate a lot of time and energy into their music. Therefore some songs sound better than others.

If I was going to criticize someone else's musical tastes, I would choose my words very carefully. I would keep the listener's emotions into consideration. (The Golden Rule: Treat others as you would want them to treat you.)

But then again, to be honest, I don't really care. My friend can listen to any musician he/she wants to. This is freedom. This is democracy. The only reason I responded to this thread is because I wanted to show my contribution. I wanted to share a few ideas. That's it; that's all.
RL Clown is offline   Reply With Quote