Music Banter - View Single Post - We've got a major problem...
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #384 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Hold on one minute, I don't think that's fair in the slightest.
I never sided on anybody's side in fact I warned people earlier in this thread not to make it about one person. I also deleted posts that were inflammatory about him as did other mods.

It wasn't until he said that he had no intention of doing anything himself and casually dismissing other efforts that I called him out on trolling, and the reason I did that was because as a moderator I was under the impression that pointing out when someone was crossing the line was my job. I did it to others earlier in the thread and now I was doing it to him.

I don't see how any of this is sided against a newcomer.
Labelling him as troll is what I think of as siding against him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
I really don't think this is an appropriate thread for labelling individual members as trolls, sock puppets, or whatever, when the whole point of it in the first place was to discuss ways of getting away from that.
Would it really hurt to judge the tone of the matter being discussed and bite your tongue once in a while?
This post above is one I wholeheartedly agree with.

I think regarding how you guys moderate, I wish members in general had more respect for the rules and the moderators here. I think you guys labelling people as trolls just as any other member might without there being any visible consequences to that labelling, that undermines your authority. I also think that when you ask the community how you should moderate in a given situation, that also undermines your authority. Instead of decisive authority, we see insecurity. Moderators gain authority and respect by being decisive and fair.

I am sorry if this offends. I'm just being honest here. I think one of the reasons why it is difficult to moderate here is that there basically are few rules and guidelines that tell you how to do the job. New mods are given their position and are expected to figure it out. Different mods moderate with different approaches and overall, it seems a little inconsistent .. perhaps even a bit unpredictable - and far too lenient.

I think a more secure, visible and defined stance regarding rules and more consistent approach to moderation will give more respect to rules and moderators. A good place to start could be to define some rules and guidelines you guys can agree on. Some protocol that you abide by and which tells you how to do the job. A higher level of authority that you can refer to, if you will, and which might give you some rules to go by in situations so that you are no longer insecure about what to do and how to approach things.

Last edited by Guybrush; 08-17-2013 at 04:59 PM.