Music Banter - View Single Post - We've got a major problem...
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #388 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Difficult sentence

I don't want to refer to the previous situation out of respect for the anger and irritation it causes in some others as well as wish for that anger to not further blind people to my points.

So instead, let's say Hitler is here and I troll him because I think he's a douche. If I troll, I accept that and am prepared to take responsibility for it. I would accept it if a moderator took some punitive action against my trolling. If my trolling of Hitler contributed to derailing a thread, then the derailment of that thread is on my conscience too. I can't blame Hitler for my own actions. I don't want moderators who blame Hitler for my actions.

If Hitler breaks rules, I should report him. If he is a continuing disturbance on the forum, I can express those views as long as I act within the rules. I can also tell the moderators about how I feel. In any case, it is their job to deal with Hitler, not mine.

I am hoping that by using this example, I am making clear the point that it doesn't really matter who it is I'm trolling or why. It could be the world's biggest asshole. The point is I should be held responsible for my own actions. I want to be held responsible for my own actions and if I do troll, I like to think that it is a choice that I take while knowing and accepting the consequences that choice may entail.

That was my point. Accountability and responsibility where it is due.
I'm not sure what to make of this analogy, but you know that in our rules we have a stipulation about people inciting others into breaking rules. In this case, we would not only place responsibility on the rule breaker, but the person intentionally antagonizing another into such an action.

Simply being an icon of being hated, or whatever that might be in this community is definitely not inciting, as you obviously know since HHBH is still here. But there's a difference between being unpopular and using that unpopularity in order to antagonize.
The problem is, how do we determine whether they're doing that or not? Well, we simply look at that person's interactions over a period of time and make a judgement call. There's no hard science to this, and part of our duties as mods are to make those judgement calls. Fortunately, we also have a resource and it's the community. We can base our judgement calls on what kind of effect a person is having on the majority. And since the community as a whole is what we're here to protect, it's very hard for us to feel guilty about doing what's better for it, and I, for one, do not apologize for looking out for the community as a whole.

So, really, I'm not sure what you're trying to say, unless you're trying to say that people here are trolling Sopsych, to which, the only instance I've seen was deleted appropriately.