Music Banter - View Single Post - We've got a major problem...
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #389 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
edit :

Again, this seems defensive and like it misrepresents. For example, I am not suggesting mods don't take sides. They take the side of the rules they should enforce. What I am suggesting is that moderators moderate members rather than argue with them. If you have a problem with Sopsych, give him warnings in a PM, not in a public thread because that will only rouse more anger towards him which again will be disruptive. And why would you argue with a member about whether or not he trolls? It is your call to make. If the moderators join in in singling out a person, even if that person is wrong, moderators behaving that way may unintentionally legitimize anger or even condone acts like trolling or name calling. For example, if moderators ask a person publically to stop trolling, then they have established that the official stance of the mods is that this person is a troll. That does have an effect on the social interactions here.
I would agree with this. We shouldn't be arguing, but instead should be just handing out punishments for whatever crimes.
But the thread was meant to be a discussion between everyone. How will the mods, who are also members, make their positions known on the issue we're trying to solve, if we're not allowed to point them out?

Of course, it's still a thread that's under the scope of our rules, so we still have to enforce them. But of all places, we wanted this to be a place where we could discuss ideas. Unfortunately, it got out of hand, which was why the thread split. There's your example of moderators moderating.

Regarding your troll thing... let me use my own analogy.

If a person walks into a store and steals an item, then someone yells "shop lifter!" and he gets caught, are they wrong for doing that? Are they socially stigmatizing the shop lifter? After all, they did shop lift. Like you said, it's down to the personal responsibility of those taking an action. Others should not be penalized for enforcing a rule by calling a goat a goat, rather than a hair 4-legged mammal with horns.