Music Banter - View Single Post - *** The Themed Weekly Member Mixtape Thread Is Back ***
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #137 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
Cthonic - Bloody Gaia Fulfilled

Finish with some metal \m/. I don't listen to Cthonic, but this was decent. I don't really like much symphonic metal at all tbh. I did enjoy some riffs here, but that 'breakdown' and the following part were rather awesome. But as with the Knife song, don't know the lyrics.
Just a quick explanation (even if you could understand the growling, the lyrics are in Mandarin). This band is from Taiwan and their music frequently protests the Taiwanese government and the suppression of their heritage for a more "Chinese friendly" history. Hence the selection.

And I'm glad you like it...the inclusion of the erhu really adds and lot to the music (and makes the breakdown you liked really awesome). Its use became less frequent in later albums since they had a dedicated erhu player that got kicked out, but they are still a great band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarobbarg View Post
Ehh. Sorry Duga, I usually like what you post a lot, but I could have lived without this one. Not that it wasn't good. It was. It just didn't really hold my attention... it was the kind of reverb-laden indie rock that just kind of drones in the background that I turn on to mindlessly surf the internet to. It doesn't distract me so I can safely do other things.
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed with how it turned out in the mixtape. As I mentioned, this song is one of those that you need to hear in the context of the album to really click with it. If you enjoyed any of it (or that style of music in general), I still recommend checking out the whole album.

And the Spotify playlist for this week's will be up later this evening!