Music Banter - View Single Post - Syria
Thread: Syria
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #23 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Larehip View Post
It IS our war. We really can't stay out of it. This is based on if poison gas is really being used. That has to concern us. It has to concern the world.
Not our part of the world, not our citizens, not our government in jeopardy, not our war.

And if you could explain how exactly Syria using chemical weapons should concern the entire world then I could actually go about discussing this point.

Quote:
It won't be good because it never is. What else is new?
So...you agree that getting involved in a volatile situation with unknown variables, outcomes, and consequences is a bad idea?

Quote:
We invaded Iraq based on lies. It's a little late to start worrying about unintended consequences.
First of all, what does this have to do with Iraq? Secondly, why is it too late? It's never too late to start thinking in the long term.

Quote:
As for violent revolutions... I can think of at least 1 that worked out alright.
If you're talking about the American Revolution, then I have to disagree. Not because it didn't turn out well, it just wasn't a revolution in the same sense as the French, Russian, Chinese, Cambodian, etc, etc, etc revolutions were. The current system of power (i.e. the US colonial government rather than the British government) wasn't overthrown. Our Continental Congress remained in power, our politicians were the same ones afterward as before, our institutions didn't change, and most importantly of all there wasn't a revolutionary force rebelling against the local government. For all intents and purposes the American Revolution was a sovereign nation repelling a foreign occupying force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
But there are at least a dozen conflicts going on in the world at the moment, so what makes one conflict more worthy of US interference than another?
Two words: Fucking Israel.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote