Music Banter - View Single Post - Leaking v. Heroism
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Larehip
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i responded in bold

i think its good to question things though i dont think that your main beef you have here. actually really interesting points by you that i agree with. instead of focusing on our conspiracy driven society i focus more on the way news and information is relayed to us (us being normal citizens). its a topic unto itself but the medias love and affection for conflict and sensationalism is out of this world. remember, there are like a handful of companies controlling the media in this country. manning and snowden wouldnt have been a huge deal had the media not covered it the way they did either. but the way that it came out was important. why?? because i think ppl wanna watch tv and have a sense of escapism and tv becomes entertainment to them that starts to blend with real life news and events. its juicier when its scandalous and even jucier when the maor networks are tellin you how scandalous it is over and over
My point is, we already knew the govt was sifting through phone calls and emails since 2006. No one cared then. NOW it's this HUGE deal. Why? Yet people seem unaware that the govt has limits on what it can collect about you and yet business has NO SUCH LIMITS. Hence, internet companies know far more about you than the govt does and, worse, can openly share that info with ANYBODY.

A few weeks back, I typed my name and city into my browser just to see what would come up. Here's what came up: One website called "salespider.com" said, "[My correct name] is a person who lives at [my correct and current address]." That was the browser entry, you didn't even have to click on it to get that info.

I then typed that address into my browser and a website--may have been Zillow--told people what it cost, what I still owe on it, how long I lived there, whether my house was for sale and also gave a 3D streetview of my house. If someone was stalking me, he or she wouldn't have to leave their house to find me.

And this info is there for anybody to look through anytime they want to.

And people are ignoring that but raving about the NSA program which doesn't collect info that detailed and doesn't release what it does collect to anybody.

There was a case not long ago of some stupid kid who posted a vid of himself on youtube kicking a kitten. Within a few days, people got his name, his email address, his home address, his phone number and people started leaving him death threats. He want from laughing about what he did to worrying someone was going to do to him what he did to that kitten. Eventually, the cops arrested him and charged him with animal cruelty, as I recall.

If you think you can hide behind anonymity online, you're stupid. You have no anonymity online. If someone wants to track you down, they will. Whatever you do or wherever you go online, there's a record of it somewhere and someone out there knows exactly how to get it. And we give so much info about ourselves to complete strangers!!! I don't need to know your real name, I don't need to know where you work, I don't need to know what you look like, I don't need to know what street you live on or where you went to school. But I've gotten all of that from people I've never met in person. How many of them are also complaining about the NSA snooping?

Quote:
twisted and impressive if u thought of that scenario by yourself. i am shocked something similar in terms of proportion hasnt happened yet.
I didn't. I got it from a book a guy wrote about Plum Island, a govt germ warfare lab near Long Island that's now shutdown but still guarded. He interviewed govt scientists that used to work there. One of the scenarios they are trying to prevent or arrest quickly if it does happen is the one i gave you. It is one of the worst ones they have because they admit there is pretty much nothing that can be done. They too express surprise that it hasn't already happened and believe it is just a matter of time.

Quote:
some guy just catching bad breaks for years from the government or whatever his situation, goin nuts and doin somethin drastic. i mean i guess it has happened but in small pockets. i just see our society goin down a self destructive path though and at some point theres goin to be an intersection where oppression metts downtrodden ppl, meets willingness for collateral damage, meets resources needed for somethin crazy. revolutions and uprisings usually always come from violence. but like i said, the same ppl who will say 'somethin needs to be done' will be the ppl vilifying whoever does it while sittin on their sofas watchin tv.
The disturbing thing is, they don't really have to be downtrodden. They just have to believe they are. In my experience, the most dangerous element in the country BY FAR is the angry white male contingent. I run into these white guys who honestly believe they are the most discriminated against in the country. And yet these guys have houses, cars, families, good jobs, cabins up north, an arsenal of guns and ammo. flat screen HDTVs--what the hell are they complaining about??? How much more do they think they are entitled to and who do they think is keeping it from them?? Well...they think non-white people and blacks in particular have it all. No joke. That's why they HATE Obama with such passion. They may not admit it up front but anybody with a brain knows it's true. That's why they own so many guns. Not against the govt really (although it's easier to convince themselves it is when that govt is headed by a black man) but against the savage non-white hordes they are convinced will riot one day and turn society into Mad Max when, in fact, THEY are bringing it about through their delusional paranoia. Oklahoma City was one example of the AWM syndrome lashing out. I don't think that's the last of it. The next one will be worse.
Lord Larehip is offline   Reply With Quote