Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Albums I have never heard
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #193 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Where were you and what were you listening to in 1991? Because I remember that was the first time that I'd heard of them and I remember just how unique they were, and the energy and focus that they had as well.
1991? Let's see. I was ten years working, would have been 28, so more than likely listening to prog and some metal. Thing is, back then I wasn't too deep into the net and more to the point torrents, websites like allofmp3.com weren't around yet and so I bought my CDs, and bought what I liked. I had been a big record collector in my earlier youth but when it came to CDs I just bought new albums I wanted, and they weren't all that often. I remember for many months, years even I subsisted off my, at the time, about 200-CD collection and played many albums to bits. I didn't go off looking for new bands, I just waited till my favourite artistes released new albums. I hated SLTS the first time I heard it, and every other time, and still do. So why would I buy an album, waste fifteen pounds ninety-nine on a CD I would not want?

Essentially, at that time, I stuck to what I knew.
Quote:

To be fair it's the perfect example of what a "culturally significant and historical recording" should be, for the impact that it had on a generation and it's rather similar to what the Who's My Generation and the Sex Pistols Never Mind the Bollocks had on previous generations.
I still think it was overhyped. Maybe it caught the zeitgeist or whatever, but it did nothing for me. I do not feel, after listening to it, that I've been missing out.
Quote:
I'm not sure why you've mentioned No Sleep till Hammersmith as this is a live album at a time when nearly all the best live bands were putting out great live albums anyway and it's just one of many at that time. The others could all be candidates but Number of the Beast for such an important album is actually quite disjointed, Thriller was what was expected and Selling England By the Pound came out at the height of prog, point being that all these albums with the exception of Iron Maiden were nothing new and overly surprising to the listener.
Hey gimme a break! After listening to Morbid Angel, Carcass and Death and a dozen other metal bands I've never heard before, my synaptic pathways are a little scrambled. What's yer name again? What am I doing here??

Quote:

Also I've no idea why you've mentioned Boston in this context either or are you referring to Brad Delp here?
Yes, I was. I was trying to make the point that IF Nevermind was so successful in latter years based off the fact that KC topped himself, why then did people not feel the same about Boston's debut?
Quote:

Just think of them as the Beatles, Black Sabbath and the Pixies all chucked in a liquidizer and you might actually enjoy them a lot more.
Ah, no thanks. I don't for a minute think that's anything like a fair representation of their sound, which to me is nothing special. In fact, I won't be thinking of them at all.

See, this is what I meant when I asked at the OP for people not to start shouting at me saying "How can you not like that? It's a classic!" Eye of the beholder, man. Or ear, in this case. Takes all kinds.