Music Banter - View Single Post - Affordable Health Care Act
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #67 (permalink)
CallMeTex
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
So, you say the South used to be Democratic because of FDR's economic policies, I point out that the Solid South got it's name due to it's historical antipathy to the Republican Party (meaning, predating FDR by decades and decades).... and you respond with, a quote from Wikipedia about LBJ?

lolwut x 1000
Actually you said more than that. The LBJ example illustrates exactly what I was saying about the current GOP. If you concede the Republican Southern Strategy and the migration of Dixiecrats and segregationist to the Republican Party, nuff said. We can move on to your "Solid South" observation.

But the "Solid South" you refer to started fraying in the 1800s. It wasn't all that solid with Hoover was it? It became pretty solid after the New Deal and things like social security, unemployment insurance, and farm subsidies. Agree?

I am not saying there isn't animosity for Lincoln in the South and amongst conservatives. Far from it. Go to a CPAC convention and listen to conservatives lecture about how Lincoln was a mass murderer. Those bozos are in your party now. It's actually part of what makes the new solid south so solid.

Perhaps to make the same point from a different direction, remember that Afro-Americans used to vote heavily Republican (when they could vote). When did that circumstance flip - wanna guess?

As I recall, Romney got 6% of the African-American vote. That's about 6% more than he deserved, IMHO. Party of Lincoln, indeed.
CallMeTex is offline   Reply With Quote