Music Banter - View Single Post - Got Feminism?
Thread: Got Feminism?
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #325 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

No, I'm afraid that's not it at all. Look at his quote here taken in context with what he's speaking about:

and you know we can ust disagree on a housewife bein a hard job or whatever, i think you are really over dramatizin. surely its work, but cmon you can be in your pajamas all day and sit around and relax wheneve ryou want, flip on the tv, eat a snack whenever, etc. its just not on par for a "regular' job to me. i cant put them on the same level

" Surely it's work" --- a small condescension that says, yeah ok maybe it's a job but --- "you can be in your pajamas all day and sit around and relax wheneve ryou want" --- giving the impression this is what people do: I don't know how he thinks the housework gets done if this is what wives are doing!

"its just not on par for a "regular' job to me." This bit I agree with. It's not on a par with a regular job. It's longer hours, less appreciation, less money and takes far more committment. Plus you can't jack it in if you get bored or get the hump with your boss, and nobody will headhunt you for a better job.

There's nothing in 216's comments anywhere I can see that relates to "trophy wives". He is, to me, from what I can read, taking all housewives together as a unit and quite honestly saying that they're lazy because they don't bother to go out and get a "real" job. I'd like to see him try to run a house. I try, and fail miserably, and I have only one other person (and three cats) to consider. I use the example of my ma which really helps, but at times I feel like I'm drowning. And I get paid the very same as some nomark who sits around all day watching TV and playing videogames or holding up streetcorners. You can see why I identify so closely with the plight of the housewife and why I'm refuting so strongly 216's contentions here. To a very small degree, I know what it's like. Though I don't really.

My hat is off to anyone who runs a house. It's a thankless and endless job.